PDA

View Full Version : Ellsworth Class

Tom Godley
01-06-2009, 11:49 PM
I am taking the Elisworth class this coming weekend -- looking forward to it. I took it last year at this same time and it really got me started in my new hobby of wood turning. It also cost me a lot of money in expensive metal in my shop :)

This year I hope to work on the wood selection -- no so much on species -- but on looking at an available log and determining how to cut the blank out of it and then when cut to determine what to do with it. Up to this point I just cut and spin!

I also want to make a large.. long handle for one of my tools -- Over the past year I now understand why he had some long handles on some of his tools!

David is a great teacher.

Dave Petzko
01-07-2009, 12:23 AM
I'm also attending this weekend. My wife signed me up for the class as a holiday gift. I'm a total newbie and contacted David to make sure he was OK having someone with no prior experience in the class. Based on his emails, he seems like a great guy.

While I still have concerns about being overwhelmed, I'm looking forward to this weekend. Let's just hope the weather is not too bad as I'm driving up each day from near the Philly airport.

See you there...

Dave

Tom Godley
01-07-2009, 1:12 AM
I had not touched a lathe in over 20 years when I took the class last year - I decided to take the class to get up to speed without killing myself.

Two of the people taking the class were experienced - but the other three - myself included -- were complete novices.

To be honest I have not progressed all that much :)

It was summertime before I received my new lathe -- between traveling and the added work brought on by the financial crises I have not had all that much time to use it.

You will really enjoy the weekend!

Other than his long unpaved driveway the other roads are well traveled.

I did notice that he updated his map. When you turn right onto Cobbler road just take note that you go straight when it hits Mission -- The road bends left and Cobbler goes straight and is easy to miss.

See you!

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2009, 9:12 AM
Wow - how cool you guys get to take the class! Sounds like it would a great time! Please share your class experience with us all as most of us will never get the opportunity to attend!

David - Welcome to the Creek! Have fun!

Jim Becker
01-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Tom and Dave, have a wonderful time at David's! It's such a wonderful experience (I did it in 2001) and a great place to hang out while you're not actually in the studio and turning. Yummy food, too! :)

Cyril Griesbach
01-07-2009, 11:25 AM
You'll have a great time. I went almost two years ago. If David updated his map that's a good thing cuz it's hard to find his place. Even my Garmin had a hard time. Be sure to buy his new book and have him sign it for you.

Dave Petzko
01-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Wow...what a fantastic time we had at David's course this past weekend! Just incredible.

David is such a gracious guy and teacher. For me, this past weekend was an unbelievable introduction to woodturning. We had a great group of guys that were also very helpful, and I need to thank each of them for helping me out.

And the hospitality of David and Wendy was just over the top. To watch David prepare breakfast / lunch for us and realize who he is in the woodturning community was a little surreal.

Just a great overall experience...and I only destroyed 1 piece. Not bad for never having held a gouge before the start of the course. Although I must admit that it was a little like drinking from a fire hose. I doubt whether I'd be as successful on my own.

I just wish I hadn't spent 2 full days on one of the Robust lathes...what an incredible machine. Do I need a Robust lathe? Probably not. Do I want Robust lathe? Heck yes, I want a Robust lathe...

Dave

Steve Schlumpf
01-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Dave - glad to hear you had a good time! And there is nothing wrong with you getting a Robust lathe! Hope to see some photos of your work real soon!

Tom Godley
01-12-2009, 1:54 PM
Yes we did have a great time -- and a nice group (five) of guys.

I am afraid that Dave P has been caught by the same Robust wind that trapped me last year!

David E and his wife do make it a unique weekend for the students -- it becomes a vacation in wood. From the Thursday night meet and greet to three full days -- 8-8 on Thursday and Friday to 8-5 on Sunday -- of turning, talk and food.

We were able to work on quite a few pieces in popular, maple and ash -- all cut from the 20 acre property. I also broke through one of my maple hollow forms while trying to get a little fancy -- but the point is to stretch yourself a little.

David went out and cut me four small logs from a mussel tree(?) later in the day on Sunday to show me how he makes his hollow form tool handles -- so I have three more to make at home this week! I also started my wet blank education and designing of the turned form as the wood shows itself from the rough turning!

Great fun -- I highly recommend it to anyone on the fence regarding attending. I also started to read his new book last night -- it is structured just as his class - so you can get an idea of all that is touched on throughout out the thee days.

Jim Kountz
01-12-2009, 2:52 PM
Im so envious of you guys, it sounds like turning heaven. To be instructed by a master such as David has got to be a memorable experience to say the least. I hope to do it someday but for now Im just pluggin along!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-12-2009, 5:09 PM
Boy sounds like a great time and a great class. I envy you guys that are able to have a place close by to attend.

Jim Becker
01-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Ache! I wish I would have remembered that you were over at David's this past weekend....I would have tried to sneak over and checked out the huge mounds of shavings you all made. :)