PDA

View Full Version : Looking for plaque plate

Albert Nix
01-06-2009, 11:28 PM
I am tring to reproduce a plaque to closely match a standard issue that a local organization hands out. I found the pladue but the plate is what I am having trouble with. It needs to be black andneeds to engraves brass. I have the rowmark flexibrass (gloss black/brass) but when you laser it you end up with a dull gold color and not the shiny brass look that rotary engravers get. Is there a better product or have any of you guys been able to figure out a way get a better finish?
Thanks
Al

Roy Nicholson
01-07-2009, 12:33 AM
I'm using 100 Power 25 speed with my 30 watt machine

Results pretty good fairly shiny but not brilliantly shiny and if I'm not happy a little Brasso will buff the brass up to a high gloss without damaging trhe enamel.

i finish all my pens with Brasso... a metal polish...

but then I'm ex army and we finish everything with Brasso....

Regards

Roy N.

john welsh
01-07-2009, 4:51 AM
we use around about 500 sheets of black brass per month and the only way we manage to get a shinny brass effect is to raster on high power and slightly out of focus . were happy with the result and so are the customers .the black enamel leaves a residue from the adhesion process on the brass which is actually only a micron or so thick bonded to steel sheet . so you not only need to remove the black enamel but also the bonding agent i think thats why your brass has the dull look you mention , try some varied settings on a spare piece and compare the results .

Mike Null
01-07-2009, 7:59 AM
You can buy black brass or black brass coated steel from JDS, Johnson Plastics and Main Trophy among others. It is available in sheets or they will custom cut it for you.

I clean mine after engraving with alcohol and polish with whatever I have handy. The shine is very good.

This is laserable material.

Brian Robison
01-07-2009, 8:24 AM
Spectrum lites engrave beautifully but the gold underneath almost has a texture to it. It may not be what you need for this application and it tends to scratch easily. Next time you order from Johnson's or JDS, get a sheet and try it out.

Martin Boekers
01-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Flexibrass and Spectrum lights I believe are plastic products. If you want the higher end look use metal. JDS like Mike said is a good supplier for the metal. They supply it in 2 versions (besides gold and silver)

One is actually brass with a black finish and the other is brass plated with a black coating. Full brass is a bit heavier and a bit more expensive.

Marty

Brian Robison
01-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Yes, they supply brass, steel and aluminum, all gloss black, with shiny brass underneath. I've used all of them and they all look good.

Albert Nix
01-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Great!! Thanks guys
Al