PDA

View Full Version : Simple puzzle box

Roger Warford
01-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Here's a really simple puzzle box I've seen posted in a few different places. I never found any plans, so I had to "reverse engineer it" from various pictures. Turned out pretty good. I've attached the sketchup plans I made in case anybody's interested (in the zip file). Mahogany finished with wiping varnish (tung oil finish) and topped with wax to make everything slide smoothly.

Dave Cav
01-06-2009, 10:56 PM
That looks like an interesting project, but I can't open the file after it's unzipped. Could you do it as a .pdf or other more or less standard file?

Thanks
Dave C

Brian W Evans
01-06-2009, 11:28 PM
I printed a PDF version of Roger's plans but it's too big to upload. Sketchup 7 (http://sketchup.google.com) is now available, though, and was able to handle it just fine. Try downloading it and you should be able to open the plans. If that fails, PM me and I'll email the PDF to you.

John Thompson
01-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Again.. nice job Roger as I just commented on your daughter's easel or however you spell it. You've been a bush beaver up in Hoschton.

Sarge..

Dewey Torres
01-07-2009, 1:07 AM
Awesome project and awesome sketchup file. I may be more impressed with the latter as a SU rookie!

Ed Sallee
01-07-2009, 8:21 AM
I want one!

Rob Wright
01-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks Roger - That's great!

I have also tried to put it into a pdf for others to view... It's in a zip file with the original pictures from your post for reference.

Thanks again!

Roger Warford
01-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks everybody, especially Rob and Brian for taking time to create a PDF.

I just commented on your daughter's easel or however you spell it.

Apparently I spell it a couple of different ways! :o

Lee Schierer
01-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Neat project. One dimension I didn't see in my quick peek is the wood thickness, which would seem to be important to the other dimensions given.

Roger Warford
01-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Neat project. One dimension I didn't see in my quick peek is the wood thickness, which would seem to be important to the other dimensions given.

Thanks Lee. I used 1/2" mahogany. If I make another, I would probably try making it a bit smaller and reducing the thickness. All the dimensions are tied together, it took a while to get all the numbers to work out. The depth of the dado's and the depth of the notch cut into the sides are critical to making look it can't be opened. I'd spend a little more time and care making the notch next time as well. But it wasn't too bad. It was a gift for my nephew and he liked it (and he got to help make it!), so I guess that's really all that mattered.:)

Roger Warford
01-07-2009, 11:00 AM
I should add that I set up the dado set first, made cut in a piece of scrap, then milled a board to fit the slot. Then cut the pieces from that one board. That way I knew all the boards where the same thickness, and that they would fit tightly in the grooves. That left the notch as the only other critical dimension. I rushed it a bit and it was a hair off, hence my previous comment about taking more time with it next time around.

mike holden
01-07-2009, 12:38 PM
That is clever! and cool!

That would make a great gift box, with the gift inside.

Thanks for posting, Mike