PDA

View Full Version : Easy Easel

Roger Warford
01-06-2009, 10:07 PM
I've been remiss in posting a couple of projects. Hardly up to Creek standards, but it's not too bad. This is a simple easel I made for my daughters birthday to hold a picture for her friends to sign as a keepsake. It was a bit of a rush job. Only ended up with a single coat of wiping varnish ("tung oil finish"), but it doesn't look too bad.

I found the plans here (http://www.easelplans.biz/). Modified them slightly to give me a chance to practice some joinery. Thanks to Doug Sheppard and Jamie Buxton who suggested a bridle joint for the top joint (six months ago!:eek:). That worked great!

I struggled a bit with the tenons. I later discovered that my shopmade tenoning jig was far from square!:rolleyes: Oh well, a little (ok, a lot) of filing and sanding and it came together reasonably well. It got finished on time and the client (LOML!) was happy - so I was happy!

Hopefully this post will encourage other beginners who's first few projects are more like mine and aren't the amazing pieces that I usually see posted here! I'm not the only one, right?:)

John Thompson
01-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Nice job Roger. The design might be simple but.. anytime you cut angled tenons that is not as simple and especially for someone starting out. You did a nice job...

And if you can't get your jig straight.. send a personal message and you can ride down Hwy 124 a few miles to Lawrenceville and use my mortise machine. It's over-weight at 600 lbs. but eats mortices for lunch. :)

Keep up the good work and say hello to the "boys and girls" at Year One...

Sarge..

Dewey Torres
01-07-2009, 1:15 AM
I've been remiss in posting a couple of projects. Hardly up to Creek standards, but it's not too bad.

Roger,
Never knock yourself. The creek does not have standards and this is an absolute wonderful project with many challenges. I see you have met those challenges face on and I would rate it a success.

Find your forte and improve upon it until few can match you. That is what most of those "awe inspiring posts" creators here on the Creek and elsewhere have done.:)

John Keeton
01-07-2009, 7:20 AM
Roger, I think it is a great project! At least you are producing - I am suffering from "woodworker's block." I have a project in the drawing stage, just can't seem to get started with the actual construction. Maybe a weather change will help?? Like a 2 week snowstorm that keeps me from doing anything else.

Seems once I start, I can't pull away from it. But the "work" of trips to the barn, milling stock, not finding the right wood, etc., is the hardest part for me.

Ed Sallee
01-07-2009, 8:19 AM
I agree with all the other replies.... Looks like a fine project. I have a friend who is going to the Philadelphia Art Institute... Maybe I'll make something like this for her.

Good to see another neighbor coming on board..... And like John said, just a little trip down (Friendship Road).... But, I don't serve "Mortise Meals"... Maybe a ham and cheese or something like that.... John's a tad bit hardcore.... :D

Maybe you and I should both jump in a car and go visit Sarge.... Been a long time since I've had a "Mortise Meal" :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
01-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Very kewel project!

Roger Warford
01-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks to all for the kind words. Sarge and Ed, I've watched your posts particularly carefully, since we are practically neighbors!:)

Ed, your gavel box was amazing!

And, Sarge, I've enjoyed following the Southern Cross series. You don't happen to have brother by the name of Joe, do you?

John K., I'm not producing much! But I'm happy with my progress. Really only began last year. Spent most of the year aquiring and setting up tools. Had no idea how long it would take to get a basic shop set up! Wouldn't have even known where to start if it hadn't been for everyone here!

Sarge, Dewey, John, Ed, Jim - I've read many, many posts from all of you, and learned a great deal. And from many others as well. Thanks again, and hopefully by posting the little bits of progress I make will encourage some else as well.