PDA

View Full Version : Delta T2 Fence

Alex Jenness
01-06-2009, 9:22 PM
I've ordered a Delta T2 fence to replace my old, crummy stock Grizzly fence. After ordering I realized that the Delta fence uses a cam clamp on the front and also a clamp on the back rail.

Do I have to use the rear clamp? I have concerns about fences being out of parallel with the blade when using two clamps. I think the Bessy fences only use one clamp on the front rail. Could I remove the rear clamp on the Delta and be okay with just the front clamp?

Cary Falk
01-06-2009, 9:57 PM
There isn't any clamp on the back of the T2 fence. There is a clip that loosely wraps around the rear rail to prevent it from lifting off the table.

Dan Friedrichs
01-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Cary is correct.

There is a little teflon block that rides along the back rail and supports the fence on the back side, though - I'm not sure if this can be removed, and it may interfere with any outfeed tables, etc, you may use.

Alex Jenness
01-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Cary is correct.

There is a little teflon block that rides along the back rail and supports the fence on the back side, though - I'm not sure if this can be removed, and it may interfere with any outfeed tables, etc, you may use.

Okay. That makes more sense. If it's just a loose guide I don't have a problem. I was worried that it was like my current fence which clamps onto the rail right in front of me as well as the rail on the far side of the table.

Jim Heffner
01-09-2009, 8:16 PM
Cary is correct.

Dan, that "teflon block" is a nylon block that can be removed and reinstalled as needed. It is held on with two screws and no problem to work with. The Delta T-2 fence/ rail system is a really good fence, that works as good as Biese but is a lot cheaper in price!

Chris Brault
01-10-2009, 12:09 AM
I think you'll be real happy with it also. Put one recently on my saw, with the advice of some creekers,, and so glad I did!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg Peterson
01-10-2009, 12:49 AM
Two upgrades I made to my old CM contractor saw are a Link belt and the T2. The T2 was a reasonable investment for a machine that I couldn't really use before. I do think it is a pretty decent fence and for the price you can't really go wrong.

Chip Lindley
01-10-2009, 1:12 AM
Please don't DISS a well-made saw fence that clamps at front AND back! The advantages are many, in that deflection is minimized from side pressure of featherboards or other hold-downs.

I used the *original* Delta Jetlock fence (the one with the knurled knob up front) on a Rockwell TS for years, and it held alignment flawlessly. The later version Jetlocks are much less dependable and replaced accordingly.

Which leads me even further away from the topic: Nobody ever speaks of the Paralok fence of the 80s! It was amazing in its accuracy, but, I suppose a bit over-engineered to compete with the *new* Biesemeyer. It used the principle of a draftsmans table with thin cable on pulleys clamped to both ends of the fence, to slide it side to side. Aircraft cable does not stretch, so, once aligned, the fence stayed totally accurate.

scott spencer
01-10-2009, 8:25 AM
Alex - The T2 is similar to the Biese from a design perspective, but uses lighter duty steel tubing, and has some differences in the clamping mechanism and fence faces....both are front locking steel t-square designs. The Biese is a great fence (IMHO) that tends to be on the expensive side. The T2 is really a fairly nice fence in it's own rite, and is an excellent value that's tough to beat in the $150 price range.....unless you happened to score a $350 Biese for $80!

I think you'll really enjoy it.

Alan DuBoff
01-10-2009, 1:10 PM
The Biese is a great fence (IMHO) that tends to be on the expensive side. The T2 is really a fairly nice fence in it's own rite, and is an excellent value that's tough to beat in the $150 price range.....unless you happened to score a $350 Biese for $80!
I lucked out with my Biese, got it from Amazon for $225 a couple years ago on sale (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007SXH2S). Mine was the Delta option, so it's Delta grey opposed to white. Works well. Keep an eye open on the Biese fences, you might be able to catch it on sale. As you can see from the link, it's about $360, as Scott points out. I got it for $225 with free shipping at the time. I like it. They used to have a home and commercial version, the home version was shorter, as I recall. Mine is their commercial version.

Mine definitely doesn't clamp on the rear, since the fence is several inches short of the rear of the table.:rolleyes: I think it did have one of those hold down type guides mentioned in this thread, just never could use it on my saw.

I did have to grind out the front plate slightly on each side so I could fully access my miter slot fillers, as seen in this pic.