PDA

View Full Version : router decision

Bill Morgan
01-06-2009, 8:38 PM
Ok, second post in one day. Must be getting sick or something.

In looking for a new router, and have somewhat come down to Bosch 1617 set vs Dewalt 618b3 (3 base) kit. I have the grizzly 1023 with router wing. Anyone with the Bosch that can weigh in on bit changes from above table and dust collection attachments would be appreciated. And for the Dewalt, anyone that can comment on bit changes above table(it doesn't seem like I would be able to get to spindle lock easily so need 2 wrenches), height adjustment in table, and dust collection on plunge base.

Also, the third d handle is a nice addition, but is it really a huge asset?

I've been to the local stores, which are only sear's, lowes, and hd. Nothing else in my area! So I have had my hands on them and I think I like the Dewalt a little bettter for the plunge base and lever for release vs the Bosch. But I really like the adjustment on the Bosh and the idea of the dust collection attachments (if they work well). So any advice is helpful. I drive myself nuts researching these types of purchases and any info to help me would be great. My wife appreciates it too! I tend to drive her nuts with my decision making.

Bill

Eduard Nemirovsky
01-06-2009, 9:25 PM
Can not comment on Bosch, have to use only Cold and live it. But I do have DW 618 3-base unit. I am using D-handle more then plunge routing base and like it. Dust collection with plunge is OK, not perfect, but again can not compare to other routers ( not enough experience:o). On a table I did use it with big bits, with slower speed and it is working fine.
Now I am planning to buy router for table only - still deciding between 5625 and PC ( both more then 3 hp).:):):)
Ed.

tom martin
01-06-2009, 9:40 PM
Don't forget the internet! There are some great deals out there. I picked up the three base dewalt kit for less than $150 including shipping.(about a year and a half ago)
I have used all three bases and they work well. I have a hitachi in my table so I haven't tried the dewalt there.

Steve Mellott
01-06-2009, 9:45 PM
Bill:

I'm going to complicate your life and recommend the 2 & 1/4 HP Triton router. This router features both above the table bit changing (with a single wrench) and above the table depth adjustment. As far as HP ratings, anything above 2 & 1/4 HP is primarily marketing hype unless it is a 220 volt router. Better to look at the amps for a meaningful comparison. The Triton router is currently available on the internet for $199.

Steve

Roy Hill
01-06-2009, 9:50 PM
Tom,

I am planning on making a router table and have a Hatichi M12V. It that a good router for a table?

Thanks

Roy

Bill Morgan
01-06-2009, 9:56 PM
I was thinking about the Triton but don't want to have to take in and out of table. Routers I am using now are from my grandfathers and are both craftsmans. Desperately need to upgrade!

I have been searching internet but am not finding any great deals or coupons. Any ideas?

Tom Esh
01-06-2009, 10:49 PM
In looking for a new router, and have somewhat come down to Bosch 1617 set vs Dewalt 618b3 (3 base) kit.

The combo base packs are a great value, but if you plan to do much with the plunge base don't expect it to measure up to a dedicated plunge router. I fought a couple different combos before I tried a DW621 - and then kicked myself for not doing it sooner. That said, I'm sure both the DeWalt and Bosch combos are better than what I had.

Dan Schocke
01-06-2009, 11:03 PM
I have the Bosch router that you're looking at. I don't think there's any way that you'll be able to do bit changes from above the table unless you're going to use some sort of router lift. I may be wrong about that, but the collet wrench that goes on the spindle is very close to the motor housing, so I always end up sliding the motor out of the base to do bit changes.

The above table bit height adjustment on the Bosch works well for me when fine-tuning, but the router has a different mechanism for making gross height adjustments that can't be accessed without reaching under the table. I've actually enjoyed having the two different ways for making height adjustments because the fine adjustment is based on a finely threaded screw, making it very easy to change in small increments (we're talking REALLY small -- I think the scale shows 4 tick marks between each 1/64" increment). The only quirk is that the bit height changes slightly as you lock the motor in the base, which can be annoying if you're not expecting it (the movement is always the same, so it's predictable).

I don't have any dust collection accessories for the router itself, so i can't comment on that. A dust port on the router table fence has been effective enough that I haven't looked for anything else.

The electronic variable speed circuitry on the Bosch has always impressed me. This is the first router I've had with that option, and it makes a huge difference in how smooth everything operates. The only time I've ever noticed a speed change under load was with a 3+" panel raising bit running at the slowest speed in hard maple. Even with that, if I made passes of 1/16" or less the router didn't have any problems. Other than that I've been very pleased with performance.

--Dan

Fred Belknap
01-07-2009, 6:25 AM
I use the set up with 1618evs (D-Handle) and I change bits from above the table. I can't remember ever having to take it out of the base to change bits. I use a Jessum table plate so it might have a larger opening, don't know.

Myk Rian
01-07-2009, 7:17 AM
As far as HP ratings, anything above 2 & 1/4 HP is primarily marketing hype unless it is a 220 volt router.
Depends if you plan on using panel bits. If you are going to use them, the 3hp routers are your best bet.

Myk Rian
01-07-2009, 7:18 AM
Tom,

I am planning on making a router table and have a Hatichi M12V. It that a good router for a table?

Thanks

Roy

Yes, it is.

Bill White
01-07-2009, 9:18 AM
the 2 1/4 hp Freud @ Lowe's on-line store for $99.97 w/ free shipping. I won't be spinnin' any monster bits, so I think this puppy will be all I need in the RT. THe old and trusted PC 690 will go hand held for the DT jig.
Just my 2 cents.
Bill

Justin Leiwig
01-07-2009, 9:27 AM
Depends if you plan on using panel bits. If you are going to use them, the 3hp routers are your best bet.

What he's saying is that you'll never actually see 3 hp out of a 110v router unless it was drawing more than 15 amps. Most advertised 3 hp routers only have motors in the 12-15 amp range, which in real "hp" is actually around 2 or 2.25 hp. To have an actual 3 hp router you would need slightly over 20 amps. This of course assumes 100% efficiency of the motor.

Chris Holder
01-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi Bill,

I have the Bosch 1617 kit for hand work and the Triton 2 2/4 HP in my router table. I love both routers and would not trade them. If you are going to table mount, consider the cost of a router lift for above the tablee adjustments. Considering the cost of a lift and a new router, you can buy the Triton (built in above the table adjustment) and may be able to avoid a second router for plunge, hand work.

FYI, I had mixed results with my Dewalt and got rid of it, FWIW.

Jim Becker
01-07-2009, 10:37 AM
No experience with the Bosch but I own the Dewalt DW618 and all three bases. I like it.

Anthony Whitesell
01-07-2009, 11:07 AM
I have the Bosch router you speak of. I love it. I bought an extra motor for the table so I have one set of parts for both the table and hand held. (I do not recommend buying the motor alone, I would atleast get it with one base for the spare parts. DAMHIKT)

I have the router mounted in a Rousseau/Jessem router lift and can bit changes from above the table it is a little awkward but it can be done easier than removing the router and lift from the table. I did notice that Peachtree (I think) sells Z shaped collet wrenches, that I think would help during the bit changes.

Eddie Shih
01-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Bill:

I'm going to complicate your life and recommend the 2 & 1/4 HP Triton router. This router features both above the table bit changing (with a single wrench) and above the table depth adjustment. As far as HP ratings, anything above 2 & 1/4 HP is primarily marketing hype unless it is a 220 volt router. Better to look at the amps for a meaningful comparison. The Triton router is currently available on the internet for $199.

Steve

Another Triton 2 & 1/4 HP router user here. I recently bought this router and set it up on the Kreg router table. It is really easy to change bits by just using one wrench. You also easily lift and low your router bit without buying the extra router lift. The power of this Triton router is very good.

Also there are so many accessory included in the kit. I think it is a really good router for handheld and the router table.:D

Randy Rose
01-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Tom,

Thanks

Roy

Have an M12V in a table, very satisfied. Make sure you have a sturdy top as that unit is heavy and will bow the table over time.

glenn bradley
01-07-2009, 12:56 PM
I have been searching internet but am not finding any great deals or coupons. Any ideas?

http://www<dot>toolup.com/Milwaukee/5616-24.html

http://www<dot>.amazon.com/Milwaukee-5616-24-Multi-Base-Router-BodyGrip/dp/B000QV1CXW

Some of mine (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=82454&d=1203896663).

Stephen Edwards
01-07-2009, 3:20 PM
I also have that Bosch router and I, too, love it. I have the fixed base mounted under table. Mine came with all the bells and whistles in terms of DC, etc. My router table has its own DC so I haven't tried the accessories with the fixed base. I'm very pleased, so far, with the DC accessories on the plunge base.

I haven't figured out a way to change bits above the table with the router mounted in the fixed base. But, it's no big deal for me to take the motor out, change the bit and put 'er back in.

Hope this helps.