PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press: Powermatic 1150 V. Steel City

Steve H Graham
01-06-2009, 7:10 PM
Some guy on Ebay has a Powermatic 1150 for sale. He's asking $650, but I feel sure he'll give way on that; it's a 220/3-phase machine, and those are hard to sell. And it's within driving distance, so my only delivery expense is gas.

Should I grab this thing or go for a Steel City? The Steel City will lose its value fast, and it's not a commercial-grade machine. On the other hand, the Steel City goes slower, so it's more versatile. And it takes up less room, which is important.

Both machines have a 6" stroke. The Powermatic is a 15" model, and the Steel City is a 17".

By the way, I managed to fabricate a splitter for my new old Powermatic 66 today, and I actually used it. I cut up a particle board desktop I plan to turn into a router insert. It was two and a half feet by five; now it will fit between the saw's rails.

Joe Jensen
01-06-2009, 7:35 PM
First, I'm a huge fan of old tools. But, a $2000 when new 3ph machine was very likely bought for industrial use and it could be quite worn. I would not buy it without the ability to check for runout by putting a drill rod in the chuck and checking with a dial indicator. If good, I'd be in favor of the PM over the SC ever time...joe

Chuck Tringo
01-06-2009, 8:46 PM
The SC has two things going IMO, a lower price tag and a 5 year warranty...the only SC I own is an air cleaner and havent had any problems so I havent had to use CS yet...but I do hear SC CS is excellent.

First, I'm a huge fan of old tools. But, a $2000 when new 3ph machine was very likely bought for industrial use and it could be quite worn. I would not buy it without the ability to check for runout by putting a drill rod in the chuck and checking with a dial indicator. If good, I'd be in favor of the PM over the SC ever time...joe

John Thompson
01-06-2009, 9:02 PM
Agree with Joe on you better check it first as re-build is not in my schedule.. Agree with Chuck on the 5 year warranty.. space taken and I personally have no time to fool with converrting 3 phase to 1 phase.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Bob Aquino
01-06-2009, 9:13 PM
I would tell you its no contest, comparing a powermatic to an import but then again I have a whole garage full of vintage American equipment so I am a bit biased. If you want plug and play go for the import, if you want a start on some very good and highly sought after equipment, go for the powermatic. It could need some work but its a heavy duty press that will outlast the steel city any day of the week. Is it a variable speed model? Even better. 3 phase can be dealt with either by replacing the motor or using a VFD. The VFD will give you even more control over the speed which is very handy when you go from drilling metal (slow) to maybe spinning a wire wheel (very fast) to anything in between.

I found it, missing the return spring, at least one handle and has the arc of shame on the table, I would probably go maybe as high as 400 assuming its as he says and has no runout but I would look it over real close.

Steve H Graham
01-06-2009, 9:43 PM
Thanks, Bob. I wasn't all that concerned about the table, since I would probably replace it.

Not sure how much aggravation fixing the runout would be.

I have 220, but since the amperage is low, maybe a 110 motor is the best and cheapest answer.

Joe Jensen
01-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Thanks, Bob. I wasn't all that concerned about the table, since I would probably replace it.

Not sure how much aggravation fixing the runout would be.

I have 220, but since the amperage is low, maybe a 110 motor is the best and cheapest answer.

I haven't replaced the bearings in a drill press. I'm sure it's not to big of a job if your are mechanically inclined. I'm sure there are some on the web withe experience...joe

Mike Heidrick
01-07-2009, 5:32 AM
The SC DPs are nice (love mine) but if it was close I would checking the PM industrial one out if I was in the market for a DP!

Larry Edgerton
01-07-2009, 7:58 AM
I too am biased, I have a pair of Walker Turners, but I would be inclined to go for the PM. No, I would just go for the PM and deal with the issues, and in the end have a better machine.

Keep in mind that if you buy a VFD it will allow you to run another 3ph tool with a simular HP, and there are some deals on 3ph equipment out there.

Jeff Duncan
01-07-2009, 10:25 AM
As an owner of an 1150 which is older than me and still going strong, I'd have to place my vote with it. Don't assume just b/c it's old it will need a whole lot of work. Most of the older machines I have required less work than the new ones I've bought. The 1150 for instance was plug and play and if it's in decent shape will outlast you. The motor is an easy replacement and since it's fairly small shouldn't cost much. In good shape ready to run $500-$600 is right around the market value these days.
BTW since you'd be replacing the motor anyway you can always opt for the slower speed motor which would bring the Powermatic down to 238 rpm's. Mine is the faster 478 rpm version though, and I've never felt a need to go slower so.....
good luck,
JeffD

Steve H Graham
01-07-2009, 10:56 AM
It would be a lot of fun to have this thing, but the more I think about it, the more I think Steel City is a better choice. The motor is just as big, it goes all the way down to 200 rpm, it has a great warranty, and I wouldn't have to drive 500 miles to get it.

One nice thing about the Powermatic is that it would be nearly impossible to lose significant money on resale.

Dick Strauss
01-07-2009, 4:47 PM
Steve,
I picked up an early 60's PM1150 at auction. It is 3ph with a reeves drive. I've added a VFD so I've got two ways to change speeds on it. The thing is built like a tank.

With that said, it may not be for you (unless you like to tinker like I do).

Good luck either way,
Dick

John Sanford
01-08-2009, 9:15 PM
"Arc of Shame" :confused::confused:

Bob Aquino
01-08-2009, 9:22 PM
"Arc of Shame" :confused::confused:

If you were to look at the picture of the drill press table, it has an arc of holes drilled in it where over ambitious students drilled through what they were working on right into the table. They moved the table about the axis of the column to get a flat surface and created an arc of holes. In OWWM circles its called the "arc of shame".

Alex Shanku
01-09-2009, 8:49 AM
It would be a lot of fun to have this thing, but the more I think about it, the more I think Steel City is a better choice. The motor is just as big, it goes all the way down to 200 rpm, it has a great warranty, and I wouldn't have to drive 500 miles to get it.

One nice thing about the Powermatic is that it would be nearly impossible to lose significant money on resale.

Dont assume that means they are equal. New numbers are suspect.

Mike Wellner
01-09-2009, 12:56 PM
An used US made Delta or Powermatic over Steel City anyday.

Ben Martin
01-09-2009, 1:26 PM
I got my PM 1150 for $365, I have yet to put it through it's paces, but I would take it over a new tool any day....

Steve H Graham
01-09-2009, 3:19 PM
I live in an area where good used drill presses are rare, and the Ebayers I've tried to buy from are too lazy to answer questions, so while an old machine would be nice, it looks like it will be hard to get one without paying top dollar.

Bob Aquino
01-09-2009, 3:45 PM
I live in an area where good used drill presses are rare, and the Ebayers I've tried to buy from are too lazy to answer questions, so while an old machine would be nice, it looks like it will be hard to get one without paying top dollar.

Steve
Never say never. I got by with a Craftsman press for many years, it was a gift from my Ex Inlaws. This last summer I decided I wanted to upgrade to something heavy duty with variable speed. Kept an eye on the local CL and ebay for Deltas, Pmatics and the like. Missed one machine that went out of my budget but that next week a Clausing was listed that was 3 hours away. Since it was out in the middle of nowhere, I guess there werent that many people looking to bid on it. I ended up getting that machine, a variable speed, single phase ex school press for 265. It should have sold for over 700, new they are over 3 grand. Clausings are super heavy duty machines made for drilling metal. All mine needed was a cleanup, though I may get ambitious and paint it one day. Just keep looking, you will find one sooner or later for a good price.

Steve H Graham
01-09-2009, 3:51 PM
Maybe I should just pick up a $50 Craigslist job for now and keep my eyes open.

Chip Lindley
01-10-2009, 11:46 AM
You never said if the Steel City is variable speed or not. VS is worth its weight in gold in using a drill press!! Changing belts is a pain! Dialing in *the speed* RULEZ!

My .02 worth>>> If you can dicker the owner down to about $400, the PM is worth having. Being 3-phase cuts down on likely buyers immediately. Argue this point strenuously! True, that replacing the 3/4 hp. motor is easy enough, but any color motor but green/gold is a slap in the face to PM owners everywhere!

I was lucky to get my PM 1150 at a school auction for $155 years ago. It is 3/4 hp, 1-phase, and the oldest, non-metallic *babypoop* PM green! It runs like a champ once I *malleted* the Morse spindle nose back into concentricity!

The bottom line is, Do you want to start drilling immediately within *new* tolerances, OR do you wish to own a vintage machine that can be made *new* again with some TLC?? Don't forget the Variable Speed!

Steve H Graham
01-10-2009, 12:16 PM
I feel pretty stupid now. I just found a local dealer that has 5 PM 1150s, used.