PDA

View Full Version : Green Inlay

Pete Simmons
01-06-2009, 6:20 PM
I live in a place called Suntree so I have done many of these inlays on various items.

Usually a walnut tree, padauk sun and cherry, maple or alder as the base.

I have someone who wants a green tree and a yellow sun.

Any ideas how to do it????

I have used laserlights gold for the sun on a few items where the sun was about 2 inches in dia. On this one the sun will only be about 3/8 inches across. Makes me wonder if the laserlights would stay on.

I have also tried in the past to use inlace. Inlace seems to not want to stick/cure to a lasered surface.

I like the wood approach as I raster it out, cut out the tree and the sun - glue them in palce and sand it all smooth. Some of the other materials makes sanding either not applicable or it cross contaminated each surface with impurities that show when finished.

Any ideas?

Scott Shepherd
01-06-2009, 6:31 PM
Can't you get it close to thickness, and then stain the colors into the inlay? They make all sorts of stains and they will certainly penetrate through a think piece like that, I would think.

Mike Mackenzie
01-06-2009, 6:52 PM
I have used these guys they sell dyed veeners and there colors are very good.

http://www.constantines.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=169

They also sell the dyes.

Larry Bratton
01-06-2009, 8:09 PM
Pete:
You can imprint it with laser toner transfer. You need a heat press, a compatible laser printer and transfer paper. It works fine on wood. I have done it before and I recall posting an example on here once. That will get your colors. I can't see the posting well enough to see exactly what your doing. Looks like the sun is inlaid behind the tree?

Doug Shepard
01-06-2009, 8:28 PM
A lot of knife making suppliers have reconstituted stone that works pretty easily and has some pretty vibrant colors.
There's a number of different things in this catalog but the one's I was thinking of start around page 56 (or was it 51?)
http://www.jantzsupply.com/documents/JANTZSUPPLYCATALOG45_003.pdf

George M. Perzel
01-07-2009, 7:25 AM
Hi Pete;
I have some nice green poplar and yellowheart- how big are the pieces-will send you what you need-no charge.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Pete Simmons
01-07-2009, 8:36 AM
George-

What a great offer as always. I PM'ed you but yes I will take you up on this offer.

I will post pictures of the results.

Also if I get this job I will be buying more of your thin Cherry.

Who am I kidding - I will be buying more of you thin woods weather I get this job or not!

Martin Boekers
01-07-2009, 10:43 AM
You might also check the woodworking forum as there are many dyes and stains available out there. Companies like Rocker and Woodcraft are geared toward the craftsman and many cities have a local shop.

The Laser (copier) heat transfers are a great option not only colors but images also. Cheap to and easy to work with. Especially if you already have a heat press.

George, I've been using Alder sheets from a known supplier but haven't been real happy with the last few shipments. Typically 4x24x.125 and 4x12x.25 do you offer something similar sizing isn't real critical.

Thanks,
Marty

George M. Perzel
01-07-2009, 1:03 PM
Hi Martin;
I have walnut, cherry, maple, and jatoba available- see selection and prices on
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

George M. Perzel
01-07-2009, 1:06 PM
Hi Pete;
Wood package shipped about an hour ago-let me know how it works out.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Pete Simmons
01-11-2009, 8:04 AM
Here is is with George's Yellowheart for the sun and some stabalized green dyed burl for the tree. The dyed green burl came from a expensive bottle stopper blank.

The green poplar was not enough of a bright green for them. The bag tag is about 3 inches in diameter.

George thanks again for the help. The Yellowheart looks great and cuts easily with the laser. The Cherry base of the bag tag is from some of George's thin wood.