PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 1071

Jonathan Spool
01-06-2009, 6:08 PM
I am close to pulling he trigger on purchasing a Grizzly 1071 OSS. Looks like a great machine for the $. While I have read various reviews and comments about different machines that are available, one feature that is most important to me is the time it will take to change out different spindle sizes. While I don't currently own a spindle sander, other than the drums I use on my drill press, I imagine I will be changing spindles out relative to the radius , or angle changes in the piece I am working on.
Do all the major units out there utilize the same method of changing spindles, or are some quicker (please, no puns on quick units!)?

Mike Heidrick
01-06-2009, 6:50 PM
1071 spindles screw on. Pretty simple. Very easy IMO. Great machine. Very solid for what it does.

John Bush
01-07-2009, 2:35 AM
Simple and quick. Larger diameter spindles you can do by hand. Smaller spindles tend to wobble if not snug enough. One wrench to hold the arbor, one to hold the spindle. usually can do it with holding only the arbor with the wrench and turning spindle by hand. You do have to bend over a bit, but it will take less than a minute. It's a good machine/value. It is the same machine as the Jet and a few hundred $$$$ less.

Jonathan Spool
01-07-2009, 6:18 PM
Thanks for the input.