PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Hartville Tool

Ken Werner
01-06-2009, 4:49 PM
Here's the letter I wrote them:

About 3 years ago I bought a set of urethane tires from Hartville Tool for my 14” Powermatic 141 bandsaw. The OEM tires were ok, and so the new tires waited, unopened. This past weekend I decided to replace the old tires. I carefully read and followed the instructions to the last detail - "soak in water at 140 degrees" - I had a thermometer right there in the pot...

Anyway, I put the tires on, let them cool, checked for co-planarity of the wheels, installed a new blade, adjusted all guides, and took it for a run. It seemed to work fine. After the trial run, I opened the upper door to find that the tire had partially slid off the wheel, and had been rubbing against the inside of the housing. One can see that the upper tire is warped, and is throwing the wheel balance off. It adds a lot of vibration to the saw and is not usable. The lower tire remained perfectly intact.

I spoke with Doug today, at customer service and he suggested that I ship the tire back to you for inspection. I understand that your return policy is one year, but since it appears to me that the item I received was probably defective, I would really appreciate if you would send me a replacement tire. As you inspect the tire, you can see that it is does not lay in one plane. I think there may have been some inherent unevenness or weakness in the tire, which caused it to slip off the wheel.

My son, Ben and I have been Hartville customers over the years, and look forward to doing business with you in future. I hope your customer service will not disappoint us.

Thanks for your kind attention.

I called today to see what's up. They told me a new tire is on its way. That's the way to do business.

Ken

Steve Schlumpf
01-06-2009, 5:09 PM
Ken - thanks for sharing! I have been a satisfied customer of Hartville Tool for a little over 4 years now. Great folks to do business with!

Dennis Peacock
01-06-2009, 6:08 PM
Sounds like I'll being doing a little business with Hartville Tool in the near future. Thanks for posting Ken.

Ken Garlock
01-06-2009, 7:01 PM
Your experience is good to know. I have always liked their store.:)

A little background is that Hartville Tool is in the back end of a much larger Hardware store. Your order and customer service is in another building down the street.

Hartville Ohio is, or has been, an Amish town and area. I think you will find the Amish to be very fair and honest people, and that has obviously carried over to the Tool store. Hartville is an interesting town that has a weekly farmers market, and one of the best home-cooked restaurants in Ohio. It is about 50 or 60 miles south east of Cleveland, so if you are in the northern Ohio area, swing by and enjoy the town.

Randy Rose
01-08-2009, 12:08 PM
A little background is that Hartville Tool is in the back end of a much larger Hardware store. .

And that store has a complete John Deere equipment section..Gotta love it.