PDA

View Full Version : tapered plug cutters

rich murray
01-06-2009, 3:04 PM
Three questions: 1. why does a pin in a pinned mortis stand proud of the surface over time? 2. other than a tighter fit on the surface, is there an advantage in using a tapered plug cutter/plug? Isn't there less glue surface with a tapered plug? 3. Is there a minimum depth/length a tapered plug should be?

Lee Schierer
01-06-2009, 3:28 PM
Queswtion #1: Most pinned mortices are pinned with plugs having the grain going lengthwise along the pin and perpendicular tothe wood having the mortice. Over time the wood around the pin shrinks due to moisture loss; however the pin length doesn't change.

Question # 2: I see no advantage other than the one you cited for a tapered plug.

Questions 3: If the plug is too thin, it would become weak and flex or break if pressure is applied depending upon how close the screw it covers is to the underside of the plug. Plug thickness has no set rules, but thicker is surely better than extremely thin.

Personally, when I use plugs I try to make thjem about 1/4" thick and also try to match the wood grain pattern and color as close as I can to the wood around the hole. If I am successful, plugs can be nearly impossible to detect.

Jeff Duncan
01-07-2009, 10:28 AM
All I can add is if you try the tapered plugs, you'll never go back to the straight ones. Some things you just have to try for yourself.
good luck,
JeffD