PDA

View Full Version : Floating Shelves Help

Scott Mann
01-06-2009, 2:24 PM
I have a friend who would like me to make him some floating shelves. I have done these before, but his are considerably larger than i expected. I was thinking of using steel rods drilled into the studs and inserted and epoxied into the shelves (similar to using regular dowels). There would be a normal weight load put on the shelves (just decorations mostly). I would most likely be using 3/4 ply for the construction. Are there any problems i would likely encounter using this method or materials? Any suggestions you have would be appreciated. I have attached a drawing that has the sizes and 3D look of the shelves.

Joe Chritz
01-06-2009, 8:14 PM
I think hardwood dowels would be sufficient since I expect your weak point is the wood failing before the dowel anyway. It appears they are captured on two sides so that will help some.

You may want to check the sagulator and see what kind of sag you will get.

Joe

Jamie Buxton
01-06-2009, 8:44 PM
Are you planning to pin the shelves along the back, and along the right side? If you do that, how are you going to insert the dowels? The ones to the right are running a different direction that the ones along the back.

Jim Koepke
01-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Are you planning to pin the shelves along the back, and along the right side? If you do that, how are you going to insert the dowels? The ones to the right are running a different direction that the ones along the back.

Install the side first, then the others can come through the back, unless it is a free standing unit, the ones in the back will not show.

jim

Jamie Buxton
01-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Install the side first, then the others can come through the back, unless it is a free standing unit, the ones in the back will not show.

jim

The back and right side are existing stud walls, if I read Scott's post correctly.

Dewey Torres
01-07-2009, 1:00 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100186&highlight=floating+shelves

Hope it helps!:)

Chris Padilla
01-09-2009, 3:43 PM
I made this one a while ago:

Floating Maple TV Shelf (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=6911)