View Full Version : bandsaw blade kink

jason lambert
01-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Got a new blade for my bandsaw and had a friend mount it. Guess he forced it in and it now has a kink in a section tried to take it out but have been unsucessful, I left it tensioned hoping that woudl help no luck. is there a way to get the kink out, it is not a sharp kink just a slight wobble over a 4" section or so. Makes for a ruff cut.

Craig Richmond
01-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Hi,

Try bending the other way to some or all of it out, just don't snap it. You can also take it to someone who has a blade welder and have the take the bad section out and weld it back. That is if your saw will take the shortened blade.

Lee Schierer
01-06-2009, 12:39 PM
The short answer is no. You can try flattening the blade, but will likely not get rid of the kink and will likely make it worse or take the set out of the teeth. Use this blade for sawing turning blanks and order a new blade for your good work. Then don't let your friend install it. If you wear gloves when you untwist the the blade from the three loops you can open it without the danger of kinking it.

Phil Thien
01-06-2009, 8:20 PM
Mount the blade on the saw with the kink pointing towards the wheels (may require turning blade inside out and having teeth pointing up). Then tension it and spin the wheels by hand.

Chris Padilla
01-06-2009, 8:48 PM
I'm sure yours isn't as bad as the "kink" I put in my Trimaster (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?referrerid=5960&t=94249)! :o

Josiah Bartlett
01-06-2009, 8:51 PM
If you take the set out of the teeth just in the kink it may help the cut a bit, if nothing else does. Just make sure you take the set out of the same number of left and right facing teeth to keep the cut from wandering.

Chris Padilla
01-06-2009, 8:55 PM
Here are my thoughts: this blade will never cut smoothly again unless that section is replaced or you have some really good metal guy flatten it.

What is the blade worth? My Trimaster was big bucks so it was wll worth the ~$30 it cost me to fix it. Ask your buddy to pony up half the cost of the blade and get a new one....

Lance Norris
01-06-2009, 9:14 PM
This wont help this time, but I have trouble installing a 3/4" blade on my big saw without kinking it. I take the table off, install the blade and re-install the table. Chances are your friend kinked the blade trying to make the turn through the table insert.

Curt Harms
01-07-2009, 8:09 AM
This wont help this time, but I have trouble installing a 3/4" blade on my big saw without kinking it. I take the table off, install the blade and re-install the table. Chances are your friend kinked the blade trying to make the turn through the table insert.

Yup, I had the same problem with an old Griz that had the slot perpendicular to the blade, pain in the tookus. I now have a Rikon which has the table slot parallel to the blade. Straight shot on, straight shot off. The only difference is the Rikon uses a bolt to keep the tables halves aligned instead of a tapered pin. I put a knob in place of the nut and welded a "wing" on the bolt so it doesn't turn. Life is good.

Curt