PDA

View Full Version : scotch tape on walls

Rick Potter
01-06-2009, 10:28 AM
I have a small rental, and the walls of the bedrooms have been covered with magazine pictures of various teen idols, all put on with scotch tape. In the past, I have tried goo gone and goof off, but the tape will not absorb it. If I scrape with a razor blade it ends up gauging the wall.

Does anyone know what might work? I was wondering if a small steam machine might soften the tape and make it easier? I am talking about hundreds of pictures here.

At least they didn't put them on with double stick foam tape....owww.

Rick Potter

Jason Perrott
01-06-2009, 10:30 AM
I would try a hair dryer first, to loosen the adhesive.

good luck

Jason

Joe Pelonio
01-06-2009, 11:29 AM
+2 on the hair dryer, then grab the corner with tweezers and pull.

Jason Roehl
01-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Having painted many apartments over the years in the month of August (W. Lafayette is home to Purdue U.), I have removed probably thousands of pieces of Scotch tape, and the dreaded double-sided foam, too. All I do is grin and bear it--I use my fingernail to get a corner started and peel away. Sometimes if it is not peeling well, I can "roll" it off by rubbing with the pad of my finger.

Welcome to rental world. Not much surprises me anymore...I have many war stories.

Rick Potter
01-08-2009, 2:03 AM
I appreciate the suggestions, and will try them out.

Rick Potter

Larry Edgerton
01-08-2009, 7:15 AM
I have some stuff that I use at my drawing board that is called "GOO Gone" that can be bought at an office supply store or a drafting supply house. Works well.

Caspar Hauser
01-08-2009, 6:50 PM
Lighter petrol, works a treat, just don't do it by candle light..

Randal Stevenson
01-09-2009, 1:09 AM
I don't know if it will work en mass, but a painter once recommended to me, to use Krud Kutter on any wall before painting. It has removed emergency lists that were taped in place at work.

Dewey Torres
01-09-2009, 1:46 AM
Tough break. I also have rentals and this problem is far better than some!

Look on the bright side.:)