PDA

View Full Version : Prefinished Ply Sources?

alex grams
01-06-2009, 9:35 AM
I am gearing up to start design of the new kitchen cabinets and am looking for some prefinished ply for the interiors. However all I can find locally is 3/4" birch that is finished on one side for 72$/sheet. This is a little heavy to build the carcass/shelves out of. Does anyone know any sources that can deliver 1/2" finished on both sides for a reasonable price? My order amount would be about 5-6 sheets (not finalized).

Also, the alternative would be to get some ply and spray a few coats of lacquer on each side and then cut that up for my cabinets. (I am going to buy an HVLP sprayer to spray the doors with anyways, so no extra investment in the sprayer equipment)

Thoughts/input?

Thanks in advance.

Matt Meiser
01-06-2009, 10:08 AM
If you go the route of self-finishing, I'd spray the panels after cutting. As I understand, the finish on prefinished ply is more like the finish on prefinished flooring than a lacquer--much more durable. You might end up scratching it up during processing. Besides, it would be a lot easier to spray small parts than a 4x8 sheet.

But I'd try really hard to find the prefinished first after trying some on a vanity project I'm working on. And, I don't think 3/4" is too heavy for the shelves. That's what I'd use, probably for the whole cabinet.

Prashun Patel
01-06-2009, 10:25 AM
I am gearing up to start design of the new kitchen cabinets and am looking for some prefinished ply for the interiors. However all I can find locally is 3/4" birch that is finished on one side for 72$/sheet. This is a little heavy to build the carcass/shelves out of. Does anyone know any sources that can deliver 1/2" finished on both sides for a reasonable price? My order amount would be about 5-6 sheets (not finalized).

Also, the alternative would be to get some ply and spray a few coats of lacquer on each side and then cut that up for my cabinets. (I am going to buy an HVLP sprayer to spray the doors with anyways, so no extra investment in the sprayer equipment)

Thoughts/input?

Thanks in advance.

That's a pretty good price in my neck of the woods (is it Baltic Birch, or cheaper, voidy interior plys? I second Matt's opinion that 3/4 is fine for the carcass.

Rich Enders
01-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Go to the Columbia Forest Products website and they will list distributors for their prefinished.

Thomas S Stockton
01-09-2009, 12:38 PM
States industries is another manufacturer. prefinished shop maple should run around $50 a sheet and is perfect for interiore
Tom

jon reedy
01-09-2009, 3:39 PM
I believe you can special order any of the columbia products to be delivered at the Borg

Brian Peters
01-09-2009, 4:51 PM
I agree with Matt; most prefin maple is sprayed with an extremely hard and durable conversion varnish or UV cured finish. Plus its usually fully cured before they send it out. Regular lacquer will scratch like crazy on a table saw even if you're careful. You could always spray before assembly though. Also go with the 3/4 prefin if you can get it.. usually 1/2" prefin two sides is more of a specialty item 3/4" prefin is easier to get and a better thickness plywood to make cabinets out of.

Bob Johnson2
01-09-2009, 6:44 PM
Alex
I looked up a couple manufacturers on the internet, they in turn had a local distributor link that listed many lumber yards in my area. I called one and asked about getting prefinished. They referred me to a couple local retailers whom I tin turn called. Neither of them knew anything about prefinished but when I explained who they could get it from they called said distributor and got me a price. 3/4, 1/2. one sided or 2, was available from both, for prices higher then you quoted and I could get any quantity... This was for maple. If you do a search in the forums you can find a couple manuacturers.
You could also stop by a cabinet shop and ask where they get theirs, they might be able to get it for you cheaper.