PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Technique Question

Jeff Wright
01-06-2009, 8:48 AM
I am building an entertainment center that has a cherry top (1.25x24x96). I plan to finish it using BLO/shellac/and possibly a lacquer clear coat.

Question: To what extent should I finish the UNDERSIDE of the top? To the same degree as the top, less so? I have read that one should finish all sides of a piece equally to encourage equal wood movement from season-to-season.

Robert Parrish
01-06-2009, 8:59 AM
To the same degree to prevent warping.

Jim Becker
01-06-2009, 9:21 AM
Most of the time, I generally do not finish the bottoms of a top like that since fastening it to the carcass (including provisions for wood movement) will keep it flat anyway. But there is no harm in putting a coat of shellac on the bottom when you get to that step. Shellac is about the best moisture barrier available, goes on fast, dries quickly and will not hold up your finishing schedule as a result.

Howard Acheson
01-06-2009, 11:36 AM
The general rule with most cabinetry is to finish what can be seen and smooth what can be touched. For cabinets, there is no need to finish both sides equally if the panel will be supported by cross pieces like sides and dividers. At best, a quick coat of shellac would suffice. Equal finishing is only important for unsupported panels like trestle type tables. Tables with aprons are adequately supported and will not warp.

So, the choice is up to you.