PDA

View Full Version : Convert AI to CDR?

Arturo Villegas
01-06-2009, 1:54 AM
Happy New Year to Everyone!

I just got a couple of hundered images in AI but my Corel wont open them. Is there a batch process or program that will convert all of them into CDR in one shot?

Thanks,

pete hagan
01-06-2009, 2:05 AM
You must import into Corel not open. I believe there is a way in Corel to automate but look at the help file for batch process.

Good luck
Pete

Mike Null
01-06-2009, 7:56 AM
First, be sure that it is an AI file of older vintage. Corel won't open the newer version AI files. Next set the filter (type of file) to AI then import it.

If all else fails ask them to send the file as an EPS.

Frank Corker
01-06-2009, 8:11 AM
Use the search facility at the top of the page to find references to viewing your clipart. There are quite a few programs that will allow you to see them before importing.

Ed Maloney
01-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Yea - EPS is the way to go. The last time I looked in the Corel release notes it said that AI files are not fully supported.

Arturo Villegas
01-06-2009, 1:53 PM
I see.
I really would like to just convert all of them (over 600) to another format. Is this even possible? I found some programs that will convert but they charge you per file which would cost me a few hundred dollars. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks again,

Doug Griffith
01-06-2009, 2:25 PM
I see.
I really would like to just convert all of them (over 600) to another format. Is this even possible? I found some programs that will convert but they charge you per file which would cost me a few hundred dollars. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks again,

You need to write a script in Corel to batch import .ai files in a given directory and then resave as a .cdr in another directory.

Shouldn't be that difficult. I'm heading out for the day otherwise I'd put one together and post it.

Cheers,
Doug

Doug Griffith
01-06-2009, 3:28 PM
I did some research and was amazed to find very little documentation on how to create CorelDraw scripts. Macros are another story and almost create themselves (by recording). So... instead of reinventing the wheel I poked around X4's existing macros.

Create a destination directory then try:

Tools:Macros:Run Macro:FileConverter

I just tried it and it batch converted my .ai files to .cdr

Note: I would try small batches at a time to be safe.

Cheers,
Doug

Arturo Villegas
01-06-2009, 4:35 PM
Thanks for your help.
I will be honest and say this is the first time I do any of this kind of work (running marcos,scripts or any of that stuff).
This is a great way to convert files If I was to get it to work. I keep on getting a grey solid rectangle with the file name when I run the thing(whatever I am doing). I tried different files and folders and keep getting the same error. Is there something I am doing wrong? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks again for your time and help.

I did some research and was amazed to find very little documentation on how to create CorelDraw scripts. Macros are another story and almost create themselves (by recording). So... instead of reinventing the wheel I poked around X4's existing macros.

Create a destination directory then try:

Tools:Macros:Run Macro:FileConverter

I just tried it and it batch converted my .ai files to .cdr

Note: I would try small batches at a time to be safe.

Cheers,
Doug

Brian Robison
01-06-2009, 4:56 PM
I had the best luck dragging and dropping into Corel instead of importing.

Doug Griffith
01-06-2009, 4:59 PM
Thanks for your help.
I will be honest and say this is the first time I do any of this kind of work (running marcos,scripts or any of that stuff).
This is a great way to convert files If I was to get it to work. I keep on getting a grey solid rectangle with the file name when I run the thing(whatever I am doing). I tried different files and folders and keep getting the same error. Is there something I am doing wrong? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks again for your time and help.

It could be the version of the ai file is giving you grief. Do you know what version they are? Otherwise, if you post one of them, one of us Creekers can let you know.

Cheers,
Doug

Arturo Villegas
01-06-2009, 5:15 PM
They were using the latest AI version. I believe its CS3.Do you think theres a plug in out there that would work on this?

- Art.

Mike Null
01-06-2009, 5:25 PM
Arturo

Try saving the files to your download folder before you convert. I've run into this with eps files before and I think this was my solution.

Arturo Villegas
01-06-2009, 5:36 PM
I dont get it Mike. How do I do that?
Sorry, I aint too computer saby.

Arturo

Try saving the files to your download folder before you convert. I've run into this with eps files before and I think this was my solution.

Mike Null
01-07-2009, 8:14 AM
Arturo

I just meant that if the files weren't on your computer that if you store them in a folder on your pc then import into Corel it may help.

If they're already on your pc then it doesn't matter.

Whenever I tried to bring a file such as an eps into Corel without first having it on my pc I got the gray box.

Arturo Villegas
01-07-2009, 4:25 PM
oh, I get it now. sorry.

It still gives me the same error.
I am going to dig in and find something on the net that will convert all these files for me.

Thanks anyways,

Art.

Arturo

I just meant that if the files weren't on your computer that if you store them in a folder on your pc then import into Corel it may help.

If they're already on your pc then it doesn't matter.

Whenever I tried to bring a file such as an eps into Corel without first having it on my pc I got the gray box.

Brian Robison
01-07-2009, 4:35 PM
Art, did you try to drag and drop?

Arturo Villegas
01-07-2009, 5:11 PM
Yeah, I did try to drag and drop but it just freezes. They were all created with the latest version of AI thats the it wont work in Corel 13. I would really like to just do a batch converting to any other vector format that will open in Corel if possible.:rolleyes:

Doug Griffith
01-07-2009, 5:27 PM
if you have Illustrator, you can batch process to an earlier version. PM me and I'll see if I can help you out.

Cheers,
Doug