PDA

View Full Version : Any Professional Tile Setters Here?

Terry Teadtke
01-06-2009, 1:31 AM
I have a question about using epoxy grout or a real good why I shouldn't.

Terry

Sean Troy
01-06-2009, 8:00 AM
I would not use it in a large area. You'll need to move fast when using it. Any mistakes are permanent.

Steve Jenkins
01-06-2009, 8:11 AM
check out johnbridge.com. they are really helpful and numerous pros.

James Stokes
01-06-2009, 8:35 AM
If you have never used it you do not know what you are getting yourself into. It is hard to work with and hard to clean up. For the clean up you need to use the hotest water you can stand.

Peter Stahl
01-06-2009, 8:47 AM
What are you tiling? Is epoxy grout used for a typical shower tile job?

Phil Thien
01-06-2009, 9:31 AM
What are you tiling? Is epoxy grout used for a typical shower tile job?

I'm not the OP but I'm guessing countertop.

Thomas Bank
01-06-2009, 9:58 AM
Not a tile setter, but as an architect I've specified it for projects and worked with it myself. A lot depends on the intended use. For one, we advise against using it in the kitchen as it can "melt" with heat.

It is more expensive than standard grout. You have to work diligently, but it does have a fairly decent amount of time to work with it. It can stain porous tiles.

Knowing what you plan to use it for would help to make recommendations.

Jim O'Dell
01-06-2009, 12:34 PM
+1 on getting on the John Bridge forum. Really helpful and lots of good information. They helped me a lot recently on a tiling job. Jim.

Prashun Patel
01-06-2009, 1:01 PM
+1 on JohnBridge; they helped me do my basement shower.

There's traditional epoxy grout and there's Spectralock. Spectralock is an epoxy grout that's much easier to apply than regular e-grout. You still have to move kinda quick, but I used it on my shower floor and found it very doable. It's expensive (read 5x price of regular grout) so think hard b4 doing so.

Nice thing, though, is it requires NO sealing ever. If you're using a glazed tile that doesn't require much sealing itself, then spectralock can save you a lot of headache down the line.

As with any grouting, the key is just to work in very small areas so you can clean up b4 haze sets in.

Some tips:

1) Use an epoxy grout float regardless of yr choice of grout
2) Mix it as dry as possible. Just shy of crumbling. Remix it as you work so's to keep it pliable.
3) Work in softball-sized lumps or less if yr using 1/8 spacing. Less if yr spaces are smaller.
4) Wipe tiles almost immediately with a damp-but-wringed-very-dry sponge.
5) Use a dobie pad with the sponge removed if you need to abrade any haze.

Working in small areas will make 4 and 5 easier. As long as you take care not to disturb the grout in the cracks, you don't really need to 'wait' until the grout sets b4 wiping up.

Craig Kershaw
01-06-2009, 1:21 PM
I've been told that epoxy grout can cause an allergic reaction in some folks. Might want to look for an alternative.

Terry Teadtke
01-06-2009, 9:36 PM
I'm looking at SpectraLOCK Pro for my little tile project...about a 100 sq. ft. in the bathroom including a shower and bathtub surround in my girlfriends house. I've tiled many times in the past but have kept to regular sanded grout. Now she's pumped up about a grout that doesn't stain and found SpectraLOCK. I've asked the same question on the John Bridge web site and contrary to things I've heard about the difficulty with epoxy grout, SpectraLOCK seems doable. My tiles are for the most part 4 x 4 with a few 6 x 6 here and there. All have a 3/16 grout line. Then there are several hand painted crackle glass tile as well which I well be sure to seal well before grouting. I guess I just not real comfortable about using a product I’m not familiar on such a expensive project.

Thanks

Terry