PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want some Ipe for the Freedom Penns Project?

John Shuk
06-21-2004, 3:59 PM
I have a box full of Ipe cut offs from my front porch. I would love to send some out to a few pen turners for the Freedom Pens Project. They are 3 inches wide by 3/4 thick. I'll be happy to send a few out for no charge to a few turners please let me know if you want some. Since it is such a heavy wood I may limit how much I send out at a time but there will be enough for a number of pens in each package.

Matt Ziegler
06-21-2004, 7:02 PM
What exactly is Ipe? I'm curious I want to try to help out with FPP as much as I can, I might try to get my work to donate some pen kits or something. But I might take some if no one else is to interested

John Shuk
06-21-2004, 8:16 PM
Ipe is "South American Ironwood" It has a bunch of names but what it is is a seriously dense and hard wood most used for decking. If you do a search of threads with Ipe you will see some gorgeous furniture one guy made from it. It would probably make a nice pen so if you want I can send you a bit. The new issue of American Woodworker has a write up about it. By the way Ziegler is one of my family names as well. Any relatives from NY?

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-21-2004, 9:08 PM
Evenin" John:

I'm interested. I can cut the widths, just as long as the pieces are 6" long. Please Email me, so I can tell you where to send it. MHWoodturning@Hotmail.com

Thanks, Bruce

Matt Ziegler
06-22-2004, 12:50 AM
Ah ic...that would be interesting to make some pens out of for FPP. If your interested in shipping it I'll send ya money for shipping, you donate the wood I'll donate the few bux it costs to get it here. And no I don't have any relatives from NY, sorry bud. Send me an email and I'll get in touch with you more. zieg1237@uidaho.edu

Thanx

Matt Ziegler

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-04-2004, 3:33 PM
Thanks for the IPE, Walnut, and Mahogany. I have made a pen out of each and am showing them here so you can see what they look like. The IPE turned very well. Sanded with 240 and 320 grit, finished with two coats of Hut Crystal Coat, then two coats of Briwax.

Just a few of the many pens I plan to make for the program.

Bruce

Jerry Gross
07-14-2004, 11:06 AM
Do you have any Ipe left? I would glad pay for shipping if you can send me some. You can email me at Jerry_W_Gross@wellmont.org

Thanks, Jerry

John Shuk
07-14-2004, 8:24 PM
Jerry,
I sent you an E-mail but incase your spam filter keeps me out My E-Mail is LEVUK@optonline.net . I'll be happy to send some to you. I'm happy to eat the shipping. If you care to give a few bucks to FPP I'd be just as happy.
John