PDA

View Full Version : Photo Tutorial

Neal Addy
01-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Submitted for those who are interested.

Photographing Your Work - A Tutorial (http://www.nealaddy.org/node/16)

Jim Underwood
01-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Neal,
Excellent tutorial! Thank you so much for that. I read right through it and learned quite a bit. It was also well put together and easy to understand. I'll be looking for the "unsharp mask" and the "levels" in my IrfanView software now. If nothing else, I'll try out the Gimp software. I've installed it, but have never used it much.

I thought you might like to know that this page seems to be lacking the referenced photos though:

http://www.nealaddy.org/node/23

But no photos on that page...:confused:

Curt Fuller
01-06-2009, 12:09 AM
i'm kind of diggin the corn cob salt a pepper set:cool:.

Just kidding Neal. That's an excellent tutorial.

Neal Addy
01-06-2009, 12:45 AM
Thanks, Jim. The CMS software I use sometimes loses it's mind. I've fixed that page.

Bob Hamilton
01-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Great job, Neal! I never understood what the sharpen/unsharp mask functions were for. I played with them a bit in my software and I begin to understand. Maybe... :) Lighting is the part that I struggle with the most.

Thanks for the tutorial!
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
01-06-2009, 9:05 AM
Neal, thanks for taking the time and putting together your tutorial on photographing turnings. Excellent advice that I hope others will absorb and utilize!

On a side note, I credit Neal for pushing me out of the 'snapshot' phase of photographing my work! He walked me through what I needed to do to elevate my photos to a level that would showcase my turnings. There is so much to learn about photography that it can seem daunting but with the simple explanations that Neal lays out in his tutorial anyone can improve their photos! I know - I did!

Thanks Neal - for the tutorial and for your assistance every time I have a question!

David Walser
01-06-2009, 9:23 AM
Neal,

Thank you for that tutorial. Lot's of great information in a format that's easy to access. Even better, it's a good read, too.

Dennis Peacock
01-06-2009, 9:31 AM
Very good tutorial Neal. Thanks bud.!!! :D

Bernie Weishapl
01-06-2009, 9:50 AM
Thanks Neal. I appreciate your help as I am a dummy when it comes to cameras.

Steve Mellott
01-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Neal:

Thanks very much for an excellent tutuorial! I've already ordered the backdrop you referenced based on a previous recommendation from Steve Schlumpf and Toney Robertson. (I haven't yet received it but it is 31" x 43".) Will this backdrop fit into the 30" collapsible tent you recommended or will I have to crop it? If I have to crop it, is that a major problem? Once again, thanks very much.

Steve

Neal Addy
01-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Thanks, folks! Glad to know this has been helpful! This is just my way of giving back for all of the helpful advice I've received over the years.

Steve M, you're correct that the backdrop will have to be cut down to fit the tent. No problem, though. I took my 42" straight edge and scored a guide line, then simply cut it with scissors.

The hardest part is making the first cut on something that cost that much! Just grit your teeth and go for it!

EDIT: Steve, one other note. The vinyl paint on that particular background is easily scratched so be careful with it. It's best to only touch the treated section as little as possible.

Neal Addy
01-31-2009, 3:02 AM
Added a new page to the software section covering "Curves" (see "Software - Page 3").

Neal Addy
07-25-2009, 12:33 AM
Bump for those who are new to SMC.