PDA

View Full Version : A Fathers Day at its Best

Rich Konopka
06-21-2004, 2:45 PM
My 12 year old daughter has been helping me in the shop with various projects. Specifically, she has been helping with setting up and assembling the various tools I recently purchased in outfitting my new shop.

First, she helped me with some of the assembly on my new DJ20 and also she put a couple coats of wax on the tables. Next, she assembled completely on her own a Dewalt Scroll Saw. In one picture, she is with her younger sister showing her how to operate the scroll saw. Finally, this past weekend she assisted me in assembling a woodpecker 39" router cabinet, with drawers, top, and Incra LS positioner system.

I have been really impressed with her tenacity and her enthusiasm in helping me in the shop. I hope the experiences she learns in the shop will giver self esteem and confidence in her self. If you have any great ideas for projects on the scroll saw please send them to me.

Thanks

Chris Padilla
06-21-2004, 3:49 PM
Rich,

You've got a great couple of daughter's and some choice equipment. It is fantastic to see them take such an interest...cherish these momemts, they could be gone before you know it!

My daughter seems to enjoy being in the garage with her old man quite a bit but I gotta be careful with a 2 year old. She turned on the TS on me one time (thank GOD I habitually lower the blade when I'm done with it but I need to get into the habit of unplugging it more) and I soiled myself and then my scream of shock caused her to soil herself! Kids LOVE to push buttons...LOVE! :)

Rich Konopka
06-21-2004, 4:25 PM
Rich,

You've got a great couple of daughter's and some choice equipment. It is fantastic to see them take such an interest...cherish these momemts, they could be gone before you know it!

My daughter seems to enjoy being in the garage with her old man quite a bit but I gotta be careful with a 2 year old. She turned on the TS on me one time (thank GOD I habitually lower the blade when I'm done with it but I need to get into the habit of unplugging it more) and I soiled myself and then my scream of shock caused her to soil herself! Kids LOVE to push buttons...LOVE! :)
I consider my self very fortunate to have 2 great daughters. When they were younger I travelled extensively for my job and was not at home much. I now work from home and do not travel much. This allows me to spend more time with them and make up for lost time. I am very fortunate they have expressed an interest in WW.

When they were younger I would do projects around the house. My oldest daughter showed an interest way back. I once gave her a box of roofing nails, hammer, and a 24" 6x6 and let her go to town driving nails. After a couple of weeks there must have been a few hundred nails in that piece of wood. You should try it with your daughter :)

I think your daughter will be cured of turning the saw on. I would recommend you have a safety switch for all of your tools as you rewire your garage. One switch with a lock should do. You are right about the buttons. My kids loved too.

Thanks for the kind words.