PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee 5625 collets?

Dan Schocke
01-05-2009, 9:33 PM
I'm sure this qualifies as a dumb question, but I haven't found a definitive answer. I received a Milwaukee 5625 router as a gift and was somewhat disappointed when I opened the box and found only a 1/2" collet included. The manual and the box didn't really specify what's supposed to be included (at least I couldn't find a listing). I looked at Milwaukee's web site, and it lists a 1/2" collet but doesn't mention a 1/4" collet at all. I took that to mean that a 1/4" collet just wasn't included in the package.

While searching for a place to purchase the 1/4" collet on the internet, though, I found a few product reviews where people complained about receiving only 1 collet in the box (some 1/4", some 1/2") and having to call customer service to get the other one sent to them. I'm sure Milwaukee will make it right if I call them up, but I really don't want to be calling them asking for a part that I wasn't supposed to get in the package...

So anyone else that owns this router -- is it supposed to come with both collets, or did you have to buy the 1/4" collet separately?

--Dan

Brian Effinger
01-05-2009, 9:42 PM
I recently purchased a new one from fellow creeker Mike Goetzke, but haven't set it up in my router table yet. I just went and took a look in the box and it appears that only the 1/2" is included. Since it is such a large router and has a good chance of being table mounted, I guess Milwaukee figured that the larger 1/2" would be needed more.

Brian

glenn bradley
01-05-2009, 9:53 PM
I would be reluctant to run a 1/4" shaft in the 5625. Unless you were really, really careful, I could see a 1/4" shaft snapping in a heartbeat. It's not that you wouldn't be careful. Its just that the torque allowed by the electronic feedback is pretty substantial regardless of load. You just don't really "feel" it.

The first time you spin a 3-1/2" panel cutter (in your table), you'll see what I mean. The router hardly even knows you're making a cut. I have the 5615, 5616 and the 5625. The two smaller units came with both collets, the larger unit did not. I think they are trying to tell us something ;-)

Mike Heidrick
01-05-2009, 10:39 PM
5625 comes with one 1/2" collet.

You can buy 1/4" colletts from amazon.

They work perfectly fine in 5625s with smaller 1/4" bits when needed. Sometimes you have to use a 1/4" bit. Buy 1/2" shank when you can.

When using bigger heads on router bits opt for only 1/2" shank.

Larry Altuna
01-05-2009, 10:44 PM
When I bought my 5625 about 2 years ago it came with both the 1/2" and 1/4" collet. About a year ago Milwaukee decided to only include the 1/2" collet. If you purchased it recently you would only get the one 1/2" collet.

Kev Godwin
01-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Larry A. is exactly right about both collets available before. Mine came with both but when I looked at one recently in the Tool-Crib store, it appeared to indicate it came only with the 1/2 inch collet. I have used the 1/4" collet several times without any problems.
Kev

Joe Scharle
01-05-2009, 11:13 PM
You can order collets directly from Milwaukee. 800 number on web page.

Joe Kaufman
01-05-2009, 11:33 PM
I've had my 5625 for about 1.5 years. Only came with the 1/2 in. collet. Look on Amazon and they will keep sending updated prices about avery month or so. Bought one just before Christmas for about $15 w/free shipping on orders over $25. Milwaukee wants close to $30 for it.

Joe

Dan Schocke
01-06-2009, 1:11 AM
Thanks for confirming that the router should only have come with the 1/2" collet. It seems somewhat silly that a router selling for around $300 wouldn't come with both of the common collet sizes, but at least I know I had the right stuff in the box. :)

I was thinking along the lines of what Glenn stated -- that it might be an issue with the additional torque of the big motor. I buy most of my router bits with a 1/2" shank anyway if I have a choice, but have several profiles that I could only find in 1/4". I have a couple of Bosch routers (2 1/4 hp as I recall) that I use in my router table right now, but I really don't want to have to change routers in the table when I need to use a 1/4" shank bit. I'll probably just buy the extra collet and go in light passes when I need to use the smaller shank bits.

I think I'm mainly just bummed because my excitement over upgrading my table router has been squelched by the the need to buy more stuff for it... The extra collet is no big deal in comparison to the fact that the base on the 5625 doesn't match up with any of the mounting holes on my cast-aluminum table. It's a perfect excuse to build the new table that I've wanted, but it's not been the simple upgrade that I'd hoped for. :p

--Dan

Brian Effinger
01-06-2009, 10:26 AM
I think I'm mainly just bummed because my excitement over upgrading my table router has been squelched by the the need to buy more stuff for it... The extra collet is no big deal in comparison to the fact that the base on the 5625 doesn't match up with any of the mounting holes on my cast-aluminum table. It's a perfect excuse to build the new table that I've wanted, but it's not been the simple upgrade that I'd hoped for. :p

--Dan
Isn't that the way all woodworking goes? Buy a table saw - need a dado blade. Buy a lathe - need gouges, scrapers, pen mandrel, etc, etc, etc. :D