PDA

View Full Version : Planer/moulder Gloat

Paul Greathouse
01-05-2009, 8:36 PM
I picked up this Shop Fox Planer/Molder back in November during the big sale. It is the variable speed model. I have a set of crown molding knives for it but I haven't had the time to try them yet.

I have been building new vanities/cabinets for my master bath remodel and have used this machine for planing the face frames, door parts and drawer fronts. Overall it does a great job as a small planer, it really out-performs my old Delta lunchbox planer. The only thing I can knock it on right now is some snipe on both infeed and outfeed sides. I haven't tried to adjust it yet, so there may be room for improvement in that area. I'm not going to be relying on it for planing for very long because a have a couple of much larger Grizzly gloats coming soon.

I really like this little machine and am looking forward to making some moulding with it. I'll update in a few weeks when I get some time to run some moulding with it.

Paul Greathouse
01-05-2009, 8:42 PM
Here's another closeup of the Variable speed motor.

Peter Quinn
01-05-2009, 8:51 PM
Yup Paul, I'm happy with mine too. I just finished building a bed board for it with t tracks for adjustable stock guides, and I may incorporate a board buddy or some other hold down mechanism on the out feed side to minimize snipe for casings with a large high to low point variation. I followed a design I found on another site, seems to work well. I've had some really nice test casings in the 4 1/2" width come off it as tests but have not used it for any actual work, I just jumped at the price for future use and curved head jambs and door moldings.

It won't replace my DC380 as a planer, or my dewalt 735 (I really have too many planers already) but it does a reasonable job, I had very little snipe in tests on flattened boards. A longer bed board may help some of that. Enjoy it.

Don Bullock
01-05-2009, 10:06 PM
I sure wish that I could have taken advantage of that deal. Enjoy your new toyl.:D

Paul Steiner
01-05-2009, 10:09 PM
I am jealous. But I want to see what it can do. Definitely upload some molding pics.

James Manning
01-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Paul,

Congrats....

I have the same one and you are going to love it, I have cut plenty of cove moulding on it and have been impressed with the results. Mine was a single speed when I bought it and later upgraded to the VS. Let us know how it performs for you.

Jay Brewer
01-05-2009, 10:35 PM
You will love that machine Paul. Build a table as Peter suggested, that will help with the snipe. I built it with that High pressure slick plastic and T-tracks.

I also installed a Wixey on mine. This will help when you start to acquire more knives. I Write down the height and depth for each cutter and return to the same setup in no time.

Enjoy your new machine.

Paul Greathouse
01-06-2009, 7:25 AM
Thanks for the T-track ideas and pictures Peter and Jay

Jay, I really like your setup. I'm assuming that is UHMW that the table is built out of. Did you purchase from an online store or locally? I don't recognize the brand of the T-track, I don't recall ever seeing a setup where the track would slide in another track, which brand is that?

One thing I do recognize, you used the same high tech, duct tape, dust collection adapter that I used.

Jay Brewer
01-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the T-track ideas and pictures Peter and Jay

Jay, I really like your setup. I'm assuming that is UHMW that the table is built out of. Did you purchase from an online store or locally? I don't recognize the brand of the T-track, I don't recall ever seeing a setup where the track would slide in another track, which brand is that?

One thing I do recognize, you used the same high tech, duct tape, dust collection adapter that I used.

UHMV, thats it, I couldnt remember the name. I bought a 12' x 36" peice from Grizzly. Not the cheapest stuff in the world, but will last forever. The T-Track and all the accesories are Incra, bought at woodpeck.com.

Duct tape has sooo many uses in the workshop :D.

Paul Greathouse
01-06-2009, 9:00 PM
UHMV, thats it, I couldnt remember the name. I bought a 12' x 36" peice from Grizzly. Not the cheapest stuff in the world, but will last forever. The T-Track and all the accesories are Incra, bought at woodpeck.com.

Duct tape has sooo many uses in the workshop :D.

Thanks for the info Jay, your right, UHMW ain't cheap. I'll have to take a look at the Incra track.

Don Abele
01-07-2009, 9:59 PM
Jay, that's an awesome table. I've copied the photos so I can build a similar one for mine.

Not to hijack the thread, but have you guys seen the new Shop Fox molder that replaced this one (which is what led to the great sale)? It looks really nice.

Be well,

Doc