PDA

View Full Version : Uses for A Dremel Tool

Jack Hogoboom
06-21-2004, 12:24 PM
I don't know if this counts as a gloat, but my wife and kids gave me a nice new Dremel tool for Father's Day. It has a lot of bells and whistles, including a flexible shaft.

Any tips on what I can use it for?

Thanks,

Jack

Chris Padilla
06-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Gee, where to start? :) I used it with a hard stone and diamond griding attachment to help me inset an insert for my fireplace. I used it to cut and trim metal all the time: bolts, nibs of metal here and there. Go to your local hardware store and check out all the attachments you can add to your Dremel...you'll find lots of uses for it! Oh, works well for cutting out boxes in drywall nice and clean and professional looking. :D

Ken Wright
06-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Where to start ... one of the handiest little things in the shop ...

Lettering and power carving especially with the flexible shaft, with the router attachment it's excellent for mortising in hinges on trunks and boxes because its light and can be done free hand ... cut pipe, trim out boo boo's on wood projects, etc. Got it for Father's Day and I had it for 3 years and really never used it before I got the flexible shaft and router attachment.

It might even start the car on a cold morning with the right attachment.

Mark Patoka
06-21-2004, 12:56 PM
I know I don't use it for many of the things I probably could but I end up using the grinding wheel most of the time. Quick and handy.

Dan Mages
06-21-2004, 1:02 PM
I used the diamond impregnated disk to cut out the openings in the travertine tile for the electrical outlets.
Keeping the lawn mower blades sharp.
Shaping with the 60 grit mini drums.
Engraving info onto electronics and other things.
Cleaning up a nasty metal edges.
Cutting off rusty bolts
etc... etc.. etc...

It has many uses!!

Dan

John Olson
06-21-2004, 9:46 PM
I own two and I use it to sand on my boxes while watching TV. You can do small sanding or gross sanding very easily. The thing I remember most though was my neighbor had a bull dozer working on his property. It ran in to one of my dead trees and punctured the radiator. We used my dremel to cut the frame away so that he could get the radiator out of the tractor and get it repaired.

Bill Sampson
06-22-2004, 7:56 AM
Jack,
I purchased the router attachment and use this tool to mortice hinges on small boxes. Works very well. Bill Sampson, Richmond

bob williams
06-22-2004, 8:20 AM
I have this for mine.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001GL08E/qid=1087906218/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-tools/002-6898922-7029640?v=glance&s=hi&n=228013

And it works great. the company that makes it is milescraft and they have a ton of neat router stuff, and they are coming out with more. :) :) :) :)

Gary Whitt
06-22-2004, 11:49 AM
Get a router base for it and you can do inlay work.

It works great on banjo, mandolin, guitar and dobro necks!

Tony Falotico
06-23-2004, 3:34 PM
Jack, I find that I don't have to look for uses of a Dremel Tool, they find me. A versatile little workhorse that has gotten me out of a jamb numerous times. I just bought the 10V lithium cordless model, used it to cut electrical outlets in sheetrock. Worked great, also used it to flush trim the sheetrock around the windows.