PDA

View Full Version : Rigid 6" Jointer?

Paul Dell'Anno
03-14-2003, 9:35 PM
I just finished reading the Fine Woodworking Tools and Shops Annual Issue. There was an article comparing 11 jointers and the Rigid JP0610 received a very favorable review. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on this machine?

Kevin Gerstenecker
03-14-2003, 9:49 PM
A friend of mine is getting the Woodworking bug, and I have been helping him aquire and setup his equipment. He has a Ridgid Jointer, not sure of the model. Probably the same as yours? I helped him get it dialed in, and from what I have seen, it is a very good unit. The fence and tables were right on out of the box, and it seems to have the "umph" to do the job. We ran some Red Oak thru it, and it never missed a beat. FWIW, he also has the Ridgid Table Saw, with Cast table & Extensions, and once we got it all dialed in, it seems to be a great saw. It has a very nice fence system, and it has no lack of power. I have checked out several Ridgid Power Tools, and all appear to be constructed very well. The reviews I have read have been favorable as well. The Planer doesn't appear to be up to par with the other tools in their line, but I have no experience with it. Sure, you can spend more, but you can ALWAYS spend more. IMO, Ridgid has decent products, not the best, but they won't break the bank, and setup and utilized properly, they will do the job. My Grandpa, a Cabinet Maker, always said: "Good Skills and patience can makeup for what the Machinery lacks".

paul in colorado
03-15-2003, 12:05 AM
I got one about 3 months ago and am very pleased. First class packaging and instructions. They even warn you that its heavy and to get some help...I ignored that and my back paid. Everything accurate right out of the box. Plenty of power. jointers are basically pretty simple machines so there's not much point in buying a 'premium' brand. I like mine.

Ken Wright
03-15-2003, 6:48 AM
I bought my 6" Ridgid in November 2001 at the Big Box.

I was particularly impressed with the instructions and packaging of the unit. There was no searching for the right nut or bolt .. everything was individually packaged and the size marked so there could be no mistake. Very little adjustment required.

I've used mine mostly on walnut and cherry. It has performed well and have only had an alignment problem on one occasion when I used the outfeed table to move it.

I'd buy another without hesitation ... although in reality the next jointer will resemble the air craft carrier that David Marks has in his shop!!

Dan Bundy
03-17-2003, 7:33 AM
I got one for Christmas. I've enjoyed it so far. Out of the box, one knife had to have one end raised slightly -- that's all the adjustments I had to do.

I had to face joint some boards recently to take out some slight twist. When I went to the lift the boards off my table saw, I could feel a slight "suction" from the surface tension.

That article was what pushed me toward the Ridgid. That and I could go to a nearby store and pick it up. It was also marked down at the time by about $50 and I signed up for the HD credit card and used it to get another 10% off.

Good luck. DB