PDA

View Full Version : Moble bases

Paul Mathers
01-05-2009, 8:09 PM
:(bought a new mobile base (jet) for my S/C table saw and now it's a freakin rockin chair any help to stabilize would be great:confused: thanks in advance

Pat Germain
01-05-2009, 8:26 PM
Paul, I have a JET mobile base beneath my bandsaw. It rocked a lot when I first installed it. I added a piece of MDF between the base and the bandsaw and that helped a lot. I still get a little rocking and plan to bolt the bandsaw to the base. I'm thinking that will eliminate the rocking.

So, you might try putting a piece of MDF or plywood on the base and then bolting the saw to it.

Josiah Bartlett
01-05-2009, 8:32 PM
Is it rocking because it is tweaked out of flat, or is it rocking because it is tipsy? I like to assemble them with the bolts loose, then put the equipment on top of them on a flat part of the floor and tighten the bolts. This squishes them so they are as flat as possible. If the casters aren't falling into plain you can use brass shim stock or cardstock bolted between the caster and the base to level them up. When I put my Unisaw on a Shopfox mobile base I put a piece of plywood between the base and the saw. It keeps the dust from falling out of the bottom but it also helps the saw fit flat onto the base.

Don Bullock
01-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Paul, I have a JET mobile base beneath my bandsaw. It rocked a lot when I first installed it. I added a piece of MDF between the base and the bandsaw and that helped a lot. I still get a little rocking and plan to bolt the bandsaw to the base. I'm thinking that will eliminate the rocking.

So, you might try putting a piece of MDF or plywood on the base and then bolting the saw to it.

I did the same thing with plywood. The base is very stable.

Paul Ryan
01-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Paul

I have a SC table saw on a jet base and had the same trouble you are having when I put it on the base. It rocked and jerked all over. I was afraid to use it the way it acted. After playing with it for hours, I took the base of twice shiming it all over thinking it wasn't sitting in the base flat. None of that helped. Finally after a couple of days thinking about it. I realized that the base was flexing, then causing the saw to start rocking inside the base. What I did, and it helped a lot, was pound door shimes between the base and the saw sides casusing a friction fit. Make sure the seems are really tight. But this makes the base and the saw kind of locked together. So now for the saw to move that base has to move. There is still a little rocking when the base starts flexing. But it is a lot better then without the shims.

I recently bought a grizzly band saw and a shop fox base. The base is alot sturdier not flexing, the saw is a lot lighter though. But I think there would still be some rocking with the table saw on that base, unless there were locked together too.

Give the shims a try it will help. Or better yet bolt the saw to the base.

Paul Mathers
01-06-2009, 9:02 AM
thanks for your advice I'll try the shims