PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to build an Assembly Table

Jay Brewer
01-05-2009, 8:09 PM
After messing around with two smaller tables for years, I finally got around to building a nice sized table.

Its 4' deep and 7' long, nothing fancy, but flat and solid. It took four sheets of Melamine for the base. The top is two sheets of MDF screwed together every 4 inches with laminate on top. Heavy is an understatement. The top overhangs 6" all the way around for clamping.

The cubbys in the middle are for storing clamps. This came out of necessity. When we would finish assembling a cabinet and removed all the clamps, there wasnt anywhere to place them, so they would wind up everywhere, on the floor, against the walls ( half falling to the floor:o. ) This has worked out as a good place to stow them for the next cabinet.

Thanks for looking.

David Christopher
01-05-2009, 8:24 PM
that is one nice work bench, I built one about two weeks ago but it was not that nice. I know that will work well for years to come

Dave

Jim O'Dell
01-05-2009, 8:29 PM
Excellent idea on the cubby holes to store the clamps. I'll use that idea when I get to that stage...if I can remember it!! :rolleyes: Jim.

Don Bullock
01-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Excellent idea on the cubby holes to store the clamps. I'll use that idea when I get to that stage...if I can remember it!! :rolleyes: Jim.

I agree with Jim. This is one I'll have to remember. BTW -- Where's the mess? Your shop looks too clean.;):D

Von Bickley
01-05-2009, 10:30 PM
That is one GREAT looking assembly table. Is the overhang wide enough to put a router in, for those times when you need 2 table mounted routers? :)

Jim Kountz
01-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Man that thing is too nice to use!! Great job with it, you should get great service from it.

Duane McGuire
01-05-2009, 11:45 PM
I like it! A lot! That wide overhang makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing your work. It will improve mine.

gary Zimmel
01-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Nice assembly table, no great assembly table Jay...

Looks like it is built like a tank.

I too really like the idea of the cubby for clamps.

Thanks for the post

Dewey Torres
01-06-2009, 1:22 AM
I like the design of it as well as the layout in your shop. Is this a new shop???

Deb Malloy
01-06-2009, 6:17 AM
Great table.
Cubby hole design is an awesome idea.

By the way, what's to the left of the miter saw?

Joe Chritz
01-06-2009, 7:01 AM
Good idea on the clamps storage. I wonder if I can retro fit something like that to my rolling assembly table.

I generally only end up with about a third falling on the floor. :rolleyes:

Joe

Allen Koriakin
01-06-2009, 9:17 AM
Jay, the table looks great! BTW, your shop looks cleaner than most hospitals that I have seen.

Jim Becker
01-06-2009, 9:30 AM
Very nice assembly table design, Jay!

Jay Brewer
01-06-2009, 12:59 PM
I like the design of it as well as the layout in your shop. Is this a new shop???

Thanks everyone for the compliments. To answer your question Dewey. This is the same shop I have worked in for years. In my spare time between jobs I enjoy building things for the shop that makes my "work" there more enjoyable.

You can see the rest of my shop here. Some equipment has changed, but basically the same. Thanks

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51004

John Thompson
01-06-2009, 8:39 PM
Nice table and a big un, too. There should be a law about having a shop that size.. How many square feet?

Sarge..

Jerry Olexa
01-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Looks good and well built. You'll appreciate it in the coming year...

Dave Cav
01-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Very nice assembly table, much nicer than mine. I really like the overhangs. My table is a little bigger than 4x8' and I store my sheet goods flat on three full length/width shelves below, fed from one end. The top is a torsion box with 1/4" ply faces and 1x4 dividers, so it's not too heavy but pretty stiff. If I ever rebuild it I think I'll include overhangs as you did.

Dave C

Dewey Torres
01-07-2009, 1:21 AM
Thanks everyone for the compliments. To answer your question Dewey. This is the same shop I have worked in for years. In my spare time between jobs I enjoy building things for the shop that makes my "work" there more enjoyable.

You can see the rest of my shop here. Some equipment has changed, but basically the same. Thanks

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51004

WOW,
the cleanliness and minimalism made me wonder if the shop was new. I wish mine were that clean.;)

Matt Crew
01-07-2009, 1:33 PM
Where's the motor? Something that big and sturdy usually has a motor to propel it.:D
Very nice work, very nice table.