PDA

View Full Version : Vector Snowflake Generator

Chris Hanson
01-05-2009, 6:02 PM
I know it is too late for Christmas but I came across this and thought some of you might find it useful.

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/snowflake

Chris

Ray Uebner
01-05-2009, 6:43 PM
Thanks always good for next year and slow times. Thanks again:):)

Phil Garcia
01-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks Chris, that's a great website.

Bill Cunningham
01-06-2009, 5:08 PM
The snowflakes are cool, but this is what 'really' caught my eye..(no not the edible googly eyes)

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/candyfab

Garrick Crocker
01-06-2009, 5:34 PM
I love 3d printers....I've often wanted to build one....the way they did this is very clever.

Phil Garcia
01-06-2009, 6:06 PM
Wow, that is one heck of a sheet metal screw!!!!!:D

Tim Bateson
01-06-2009, 8:49 PM
An engineer friend here at GE Aircraft Engines. They use one like this to fabricate prototype parts. It has saved them a small fortune they use to spend at the machine shop. Minor design changes are just a print driver away vs re-tooling and creating a new die.

Jim Good
01-06-2009, 11:06 PM
I work with an EBM machine that uses an electron beam instead of a laser to melt the metal powder. It's more efficient and I can manufacture a fully-dense titanium part from titanium powder. The neatest thing is I can make complex geometries like internal channels or a metal mesh. You can't CNC these geometries.

Since I work with NASA, I'm melting moon dirt in order to see if I can manufacture parts on the moon and ultimately, Mars, with in situ materials. I'm having some success but the titanium parts are stronger!!!

I'm having fun with the EBM machine but I sure like my Epilog laser, too! :D

Jim

James Jaragosky
01-07-2009, 12:23 AM
I work with an EBM machine that uses an electron beam instead of a laser to melt the metal powder. It's more efficient and I can manufacture a fully-dense titanium part from titanium powder. The neatest thing is I can make complex geometries like internal channels or a metal mesh. You can't CNC these geometries.

Since I work with NASA, I'm melting moon dirt in order to see if I can manufacture parts on the moon and ultimately, Mars, with in situ materials. I'm having some success but the titanium parts are stronger!!!

Jim

I use to work for Sciaky Bros. in Illinois. Back in the late 70’s early 80’s.
The company produced some electron beam welders for NASA among other specialty welders.
The machine you currently use wouldn’t be made Sciaky bros. would it?

Bill Cunningham
01-07-2009, 12:56 PM

Jim

Hmmm That 'moon dirt' must be at least 40 years old! How much did they drag back with them?

Tim Bateson
01-07-2009, 1:02 PM
Chris, We've kind-of got off your topic. I've used that snowflake generator for a couple years. Very worth while for making very unique snowflakes. Some of my best ornaments started there.

Chris Hanson
01-09-2009, 2:08 PM
Tim,

I was just sitting back and enjoying the conversation!

There is such a wealth of knowledge here that it is always interesting to follow people's projects, problems and areas of experience and expertise.

The whole DIY/Maker/Open Source movement is really making some neat stuff available that is free or very affordable and opening up so many exciting possibilities in so many areas.

Chris

Bill Cunningham
01-10-2009, 8:14 PM
Sorry Chris.. I kinda took it off topic up there with my post... I'm just glad I don't have your heating bill, it's bad enough where I am, and can't wait for all the snowflakes to be gone :D