PDA

View Full Version : Customer File Problem

Joe Pelonio
01-05-2009, 5:53 PM
This customer sent several files twice as .ai, then finally as a pdf. I can open them in Acrobat Reader, but not in Corel X3. He insists that they have been saved as a lower version as he has done many times with other files, but all I get is a message from Corel "corrupted file". They are using the latest Adobe Illustrator.

Can anyone open it and see what's going on? (I had to zip it to fit here)

Thanks.

Jerry Hay
01-05-2009, 6:07 PM
What is the problem with it? I opened it right up in acrobat and in photoshop cs2

Joe Pelonio
01-05-2009, 6:13 PM
The problem is that I cannot open it in Corel X3, which is what I use for engraving.

Curt Stallings
01-05-2009, 6:35 PM
Here it is copied into V12 and converted from paragraph text to artistic text. HTH

Curt

Jerry Hay
01-05-2009, 6:37 PM
I had to create a new document in correl and then import the file.

Joe Pelonio
01-05-2009, 6:38 PM
Curt,

Thanks, but there are many other files with the same problem, so I need to know what the problem was. What did you open it with? Can you verify what version of AI it was in?

John Noell
01-05-2009, 6:47 PM
My Illustrator CS simply says is it was done in a "later version" so maybe CS2, CS3, or CS4. The file header says it is PDF 1.5 (released in 2003, compatible with Acrobat [not Reader] 6.0 or later. I have opened other PDF 1.5 files in Corel X3 so I am mystified as to why this one comes in as "corrupt."

Larry Bratton
01-05-2009, 6:58 PM
Joe:
I opened it with Photoshop CS3. Re-saved it as a PDF and Corel X3 imported it. The original file was reported as corrupt by Corel X3. It was created by Illustrator CS4. Could be that's the problem with trying to open with Corel X3. CS4 is a later in date than X3 is and is probably not backward compatible.

Kenneth Hertzog
01-05-2009, 7:02 PM
Joe

Maybe this will help.
I first tried to open the file in X3 and got the corrupt message
went back to Adobe Reader V8 and opened the file and saved it as a text doc
then went back into X3 and imported it as text and it opened the file
tried this and it worked for me hope it helps

ken

Joe Pelonio
01-05-2009, 7:04 PM
I looked at the details on Reader 8.0, which show it to be created in CS4, which they just recently upgraded to. I never had problems with their CS2 files saved as CS1 ai files. This time when the ai files failed I had them try
pdf's so I could at least see them in Reader.

Here's the original ai file, maybe you can see what version of ai it is?

Kenneth Hertzog
01-05-2009, 7:15 PM
Joe

just did the same thing again
I opened Acrobat Reader V8 and it opened the file
saved it as a text doc
imported it into X3 and had no problem
could not tell the version it was in but it opened it

ken

Kenneth Hertzog
01-05-2009, 7:17 PM
Joe

just checked and it said AI CS3

ken

Larry Bratton
01-05-2009, 7:20 PM
Yep..AI CS3 according to Photoshop

Curt Stallings
01-05-2009, 7:35 PM
I opened it with Acrobat Reader V7, and it was created with CS4.

Curt

Mike Chance in Iowa
01-05-2009, 8:50 PM
Similar results as others.

PDF is corrupt when trying to import into X3. Open the PDF in Acrobat 6. Save As and change the file name. New PDF shows the same document properties as the original, but the file size is 19 kb smaller and X3 can successfully import the new PDF.

Doug Griffith
01-05-2009, 9:05 PM
I looked at the details on Reader 8.0, which show it to be created in CS4, which they just recently upgraded to. I never had problems with their CS2 files saved as CS1 ai files. This time when the ai files failed I had them try
pdf's so I could at least see them in Reader.

Here's the original ai file, maybe you can see what version of ai it is?

CS3

One thing I see is it's a PDF with a .ai extension. Illustrator and Acrobat see it for what it is while Corel could be having a problem. Have you tried changing the extension to .pdf and then importing into Corel? Just a thought.

Cheers,
Doug

Allen Isakson
01-05-2009, 9:23 PM
HI Joe
I opened the file in corel and got the same message you did. I reopened in acrobat reader and then went to edit and selected save copy of file to clipboard.
I then went back to corel and pasted it, worked great came right up. I do use x3.

Hope it helps

Allen

Joe Pelonio
01-05-2009, 9:36 PM
Thanks all, I see the problem now is that he has not been saving it as a CS2 file, but the pdf save as text works too, for this one. It won't on some of the others since they have vector graphics but I'll stop tomorrow and make sure he does the file right before sending it again.

Albert Nix
01-05-2009, 10:06 PM
I could not open it in x4 either. But I opened it in adobe copied and paste in x4 without a problem.

Marc Myer
01-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Usually when working with .ai files I also ask the originator to convert the text to outlines and flatten the layers (or I just do it myself, it only takes a minute). That seems to prevent compatibility issues.

Joe Pelonio
01-06-2009, 2:57 PM
Problem resolved. I made sure he saved as version CS2 ai and no problem importing.