PDA

View Full Version : Solid surface (LG HiMacs) engraved and filled

Larry Bratton
01-05-2009, 5:18 PM
I made these promotional pieces for LG HiMacs' distributor to give to their sales people, in exchange for some free material. They want to demonstrate that their solid surface material can be used for signage and things other than counter tops.

Although all of this is engraved and filled, we found that we could also use laser toner transfer on it very effectively. We may imprint the distributor's logo on here too when we get one of decent resolution.

This was routed on my old Warthog router with a standard 1/4" solid carbide endmill, nothing special, just a plain old woodworking bit. It cuts and routes like a dream. This piece is 1/2" thick called "White Quartz". It is also available in 1/4" which can be cut with the laser.

Frank Corker
01-05-2009, 5:22 PM
Looks very good Larry. Probably be able to take a lot of punishment too if it were required of it.

Keith Outten
01-05-2009, 9:34 PM
Larry,

Resistance is futile, you have been assimilated :)

Solid surface material is the best in most cases and certainly the most fun to work with.

Very Nice!

Larry Bratton
01-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Keith:
Yes sir! I love the stuff. I used a couple of tips I got from you. I did however, mask these with polyester film before I engraved and painted them, in lieu of sanding. I used the Testor's paint on parts of it and Q-tip applicators. However, the large type was filled with black Krylon with a brush. I sprayed it out in a tin can and then applied it, it flows into the engraving perfectly.

And, yes, Frank. This stuff is very durable. If the UV doesn't get it, it should last 30 to 50 years outside. I suspect forever inside, unless it was destroyed by forces such as fire or some such disaster.

Phil Garcia
01-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Larry, that looks great. What type of settings did you use and are there any issue's to consider when doing vector cuts that you do not have with other materials??

Larry Bratton
01-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Phil:
Engraved it at 35s-100p-500f -400dpi and ran it twice. Vector cutting is tough with 40 watts. Takes 2 passes, 2s-100p-5000f and I can't vector 1/2", only 1/4". If your going to work with 1/2" you will have to have a lot more power than 35watts or cut it with a router or saw. It works with regular woodworking tools though, so if you have em, use em. I'm going to end up cutting the 1/4" on CNC also, just because of the time and ease of doing it.

Phil Garcia
01-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the information. It sounds like it is some pretty durable material based on those settings.