PDA

View Full Version : What's it worth?

Bill Mitchel
01-05-2009, 3:47 PM
Hello all

I was driving down the road today and saw a huge tree cut down and a few people standing around it. Pulled over and it was a couple from the forestry and a local tree guy(Frank). They told me where and what time everyday they dump all the wood the cut.
I told them what I used the wood for and Frank told me about a cherry log he had, about 30" or so at the base and 12' long. He will put it on his trailer and deliver to my house. Now the million dollar question, what is a cherry tree worth? He asked what I wanted to pay but I had absoultly no idea what it's worth, does anyone with any experiecne with this? I think free is out :mad:

Thanks
Bill

Bob Hallowell
01-05-2009, 4:04 PM
It is worth more than you should pay if it was turned in to boards. 30" is nice, but for turning it will be nice but prolly no crotches or anything thing spectacular. If he would take a case of beer or 30-40 bucks for hauling it I would go for it. If not go to where they dump there wood and get some crotches and such.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2009, 4:31 PM
I was going to say #30 to $50. I wouldn't go much more than that.

Skip Spaulding
01-05-2009, 5:32 PM
If that log is good clear cherry, it is probably worth a small fortune if turned into lumber. I think good cherry here sells for about $5.00+ a board foot kiln dried. Probably $1.50-2.50/bfd. air dried or just sawed. Check the price of a 15"x15"x6" turning blank on line if you can even find one. It will scare you! If your lathe is big enough to turn 16" and you have a bowl saver system you may have hit the jackpot!

David Walser
01-05-2009, 5:38 PM
If the tree service has another paying option for the wood, what you might need to pay should approach what they could get for the tree with that other option.

On the other hand, unless there's a small sawmill in the area, the tree service's options are not paying options. They will either need to take the tree to the landfill (and pay a fee) or they'll need to mulch the smaller stuff and cut up the rest for firewood. Typically, firewood and mulch prices don't cover the labor cost of production. So, by taking the tree off their hands, you'll be saving the tree service money. You wouldn't be saving the tree service much money, so I would dream of asking them to pay you to take it off their hands -- but I doubt I'd pay much above the hassle factor of going and getting the wood myself.

YMMV!

Don Carter
01-05-2009, 6:46 PM
Bill:
If he is someone that you know, or would like to get to know, offer him a bowl from the wood. Maybe, even paying something and then a bowl may grease the wheels for the next acquisition...you never know.

All the best.

Don

Bill Bolen
01-05-2009, 6:47 PM
Green wood is usually free to the person hauling it away. I would think reimbursing him for his gas and a bit more for his effort should be in the $25 to $30 range plus a bowl from the log. That being said I'd sure like to get access to his dump site and cut my own. Would you share the info on his dump site? Thanks...Bill...

alex carey
01-05-2009, 7:03 PM
I only get green wood. I have three different tree cutters I call. I just drive to them and they give me all I want. They never have asked for anything and seem pleased that someone takes the big pieces of their hand. Every now and then I'll make them something out of the wood they provided to show thanks.

If you can get the number of some tree cutters or access to the place they dump, do it. It will be a lot cheaper than dealing with this guy. Best would be to go where they are cutting it though.

As to the worth of this piece, Gas and 30$ would be fair.

Alex

Nathan Hawkes
01-05-2009, 8:26 PM
Well, I'm going out on a limb here and saying its worth a lot more than $30 even green, but it really depends on the grain as to how much its worth. Around here, cherry is still (relatively) valuable as a log. You would want not to include the sapwood when calculating BF for cherry, which might be 3-4inches thick in a tree that diameter. If it is really fresh with no checking whatsoever, and no defects in it, it might be worth a bundle. BUT, it might be worth very little if the tree was sick, is cracked, or has any punky or soft spots in it. If it is really nice, then get it sawn up for lumber and sell it. Wide cherry is valuable.

Jim Becker
01-05-2009, 8:33 PM
Nathan, for cherry (and walnut) the sap does count in the count, as it were...but for a log that size, it's not really going to be much of a factor.

Bill Mitchel
01-05-2009, 8:36 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll let you know how it turns out. If it works out I know what I'll be doing this weekend :D
Bill, I sent you a PM.

Thanks
Bill

Jim Kountz
01-05-2009, 8:52 PM
I just came from my local mill today and purchased two maple logs approx 16" diamteter and 8' long. There was approx 130 bd ft give or take for the two total I got them for .40 /ft. Cherry is slightly higher and 10' or better lengths adds to the cost per bd ft.as does the diameter. So while I got these for .40/ft a 20" diameter would maybe be around .45 or upwards of .70/ft. Depends on the mill too but these are averages around here. There are three ways of determining bd ft of a round log. The Doyle, The International and the Scribner. Each method will give a different total and this has been debated for 100's of years. Around here the mills eus the Doyle method. Your milage may vary.

Jeff Nicol
01-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Anything is only worth what someone will pay for it. I get logs from a tree service guy and as has already been said, you would be helping a tree service the hassle and effort of hauling it away. But if he offered to load it and haul it to your place I am sure the cost would be for the effort of loading and bringing to you. I built a trailer to pick up the logs so I could haul them and pick them up without a loader or tractor. ANything to not take up more time for the tree service.

So offer him what it is worth to you, for me I may offer more as I have a WOODMIZER LT30 sawmill so I could recoup the money for sure.

Hope it is cheap!
Jeff

Reed Gray
01-06-2009, 2:56 AM
I tell them that I usually trade by giving back bowls to the owner of the log and the guys who take them down. No complaints thus far after 10 years. I would give several big bowls for a log like that. Of course, that depends on how good the log is. Other than that, if they want money, it is only worth firewood prices, probably less than cut and split.
robo hippy

Wyatt Holm
01-06-2009, 5:44 PM
I would find out where they dump it, and go and get it myself. If it is local enough you could go there with your saw and cut it into rough bowl blanks. Then all they need is the bandsaw.