PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
06-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone.

I'm oncall at work this week so we all know what THAT means!!!! :mad:

Only spent time in the shop to turn a few pens and then spent the rest of the time with the family.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks......

Kevin Arceneaux
06-21-2004, 11:54 AM
Showed my wife how to do a miter cut and use our Dewalt plate joiner. My son also learned how to use the plate joiner. Worked on how to make finger joints.

Sunday - My son and I rented a couple of movies and we sat and watched them.

Chris Padilla
06-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Guess what I'm putting together now! :D

Mark Bachler
06-21-2004, 12:27 PM

Hey alright Chris. Half the job is getting started.

Travis Lanman
06-21-2004, 12:32 PM
Saturday I got some shop time in the morning. Finally got around to cleaning that mess. I don't think the shop has even been this clean. :D Then I got started on an overarm guard from wood magazine. In the afternoon we drove down to a small town in Southern Oregon to look at a few baseball fields for an upcoming all-star tournament. It was about 6 hours round trip which was a little much but it was fun.

Sunday more work on the guard was done and the rest was spent visiting fathers. Overall a great weekend. Have a great week everyone.
Travis

Jim Becker
06-21-2004, 12:36 PM
I didn't get much shop time this weekend. Friday, I was in the air for about 7 1/2 hours returning home from the UK. Saturday morning, I had to clean the outdoor furniture for a picnic later that day as well as get the grass cut. That afternoon, said picnic required my services at the grill as well as some deep economic discussions with one of our guests. (A professor of economics at Penn State) The last guest left at about 9p, so...the shop got no time other than a tour group.

Sunday, I replaced the switch on the FS350 and got it fired up preparing some components for the walnut buffet. I also cleaned up the shop from the previous weeks' turning sessions as well as performing the decorative painting on the bubinga platter detailed in another thread. That was about the extent of things for this weekend. I think it's going to be "one of those summers" looking at the busy schedule. I suppose I'll just have to burn some of last years' vacation time for woodworking! :D

Chris Padilla
06-21-2004, 12:49 PM
Hey alright Chris. Half the job is getting started.
Yeah, I kinda started taking stuff out of the boxes and low and behold, I started putting it together! I will continue the rest of this week and perhaps by the end of next weekend, I'll have it done.

With my garage remodel looming, I want this together so I can place it appropriately in its spot...wherever that ends up being. It is kinda fun but my hands are all cut up now... :o Seems I take my gloves off to do delicate work and then forget to put them back on.... :(

Scott Coffelt
06-21-2004, 12:51 PM
Saturday was spent with the typical things: shopping, yard work, etc.

I finished cutting some glass for the corner bar cabinet, get the door fitted and catch installed. Started painting.

Apeased my realtor friend and looked at some houses, but with the upcoming layoff I was not real enthused. Though I did get to check out a house with a million dollar view (that of course was originally listed 2 1/2 years ago for $1.5 Million). It is now listed about $700k. For the real story, it has Brazilian Rosewood floors throughout the main floor. Also a room under the garage that is about 35x25 (perfect shop location). Anyways, I see it all the time and really wanted to get a closer view. Very pretty and upscale home. Sorry not in my budget. Then took the opportunity to discuss potential next career plans. I am seriously looking into buying low price fixer uppers and getting them ready for the market. In addition, I have an offer to build a spec home in the same friends new development due for ground breaking in August. The wife seems to back the idea, so regardless of the whole current work thing I am taking a serious look.

I detailed my Sunday activities in a nother post, but in a nut shell had a great Father's Day with family. Wife's traveling this week so I am sure there will be very little if any shop time until next weekend.

Dan Mages
06-21-2004, 1:07 PM
My shelf is 90% done. It has two coats of spar varnish on it and one more to go. Then one coat of wax and the hardware for the leg. Chris, thank you for the advice!!

Dan

Rich Konopka
06-21-2004, 1:11 PM
I spent all day Saturday on setting up some recently purchased tools. I uncrated the MM16 and it is in the garage laying on its back. No one was around Saturday to move it to my basement shop. :( Cleaned it up some but it still requires another hour or so.

Completed assembly of the Woodpecker Router Cabinet. Installed the drawers, the top, and assembled the Incra LS System. Sweeet !! I still have to set up the new PC 7518 to the Unilift and align it up.

Sunday was spent with the family at the in-laws :eek:

Chris Padilla
06-21-2004, 1:18 PM
My shelf is 90% done. It has two coats of spar varnish on it and one more to go. Then one coat of wax and the hardware for the leg. Chris, thank you for the advice!!

Dan
Very pretty, Dan. What steps did you take or will take for the finishing?

John Miliunas
06-21-2004, 1:23 PM

Don't tell me. Lemme' guess: Your local community theater is putting on "The Wizard of Ozz" and you volunteered to do the costume for the Tin Man? :D Ok...Wad do I win? Wad do I win? I'm right, right?! :D :cool:

Jim VanBramer
06-21-2004, 1:29 PM
Hey Chris ... I know these gas powered scooters are quite the craze these days, but a rocket powered shop stool??? :eek: How 'bout a picture of that thing in action?!!! ;) :D

Dan Mages
06-21-2004, 1:36 PM
Very pretty, Dan. What steps did you take or will take for the finishing?

I gave it a very good sanding at 220 grit with my random orbit sander. Then I set up my screened tent/shelter in the garage for a finishing booth (keeps out the bugs and bigger particle). I gave it a good tack cloth cleaning followed by the McCloskey Man O War Spar Varnish. I waited 12 hours before flipping it over and doing the other side. It had a few imperfections after the first coat, but nothing worth sanding it down and dulling the finish. Once I am done with this coat I will give it a good buffing with a wool buffing pad for my Porter-Cable ROS and check the finish. If necessary, i will try to remove some of the bigger particles from the finish, like the hairs from this crappy brush I bought at Sherwin Williams :mad:. One more tack clothing and coat tonight and tomorrow morning followed by a coat of wax on thursday and another buffing. Has anyone ever tried using automotive claybar on a woodworking project? I wonder if that stuff will work on wood and give it a nice, smooth surface.

Dan

Tyler Howell
06-21-2004, 1:48 PM
Good Weekend, Started a little early burning some comptime on Friday. That's two weekends in a row that Bob hasn't asked, So I was a rudderless ship for a while:D
A little yard and garden work. Some landscape lighting turned out nice. Did the lay out for another tile job. Boy do I hurt. Knees back hands. uf dah.:o
Made a Creeker connection on Saturday. A lot of sailing, Great winds, sun, good food and spirits with great friends. A lazy Sunday.
Definately a great one.;)

Dave Richards
06-21-2004, 2:37 PM
Chris, I think its a little late to start building a spaceship for the X prize. Burt Rutan already got his bird up to sniff at the ether. :D

I got some shop time on father's day. I managed to take a big piece of white ash and mill it down to a 1/2" thick square 3 1/2" on a side. :D I might get that table lamp finished yet.

Saturday I spent the morning and early afternoon sailing on Lake Pepin. Went to crew on a 28' boat for a race but the Committee boat wouldn't start so the race never happened. Still it was a most beautiful day to be on the water.

Tyler, where'd you sail?

David Wilson
06-21-2004, 2:38 PM
Tyler

Do you want to explain uf dah to the rest of the world?

Dave Richards
06-21-2004, 2:45 PM
David, if der not from Minnesota dey probably wouldn't get it.

My father in law told me that Lena told Ole to go downtown and get her a La-Z-Boy rocker. Ole came back with a teenaged Norwegian guitarist. :D

He's full-blooded Norse so I guess he can tell those jokes.

Tyler Howell
06-21-2004, 4:00 PM
Tyler

Do you want to explain uf dah to the rest of the world?Oh yah sure you betcha! Uf da is yuste for da Meennasotans dontcha know!

[Quote=David Richards] Tyler, where'd you sail?
Went to a Pine Lake bye AitkinSailboards this weekend and Yes I can!

Bart Sharp
06-21-2004, 4:28 PM
Nothing shop related, but a great weekend. Saturday I finished all the plumbing rough-in for my bathroom remodel. No leaks, and more importantly nothing set on fire. Saturday night we watched Cheaper By The Dozen. I'm a big Steve Martin fan anyway, but that movie was great.

For my first Father's Day, my wife made me a Kawasaki diaper bag using a patch off of an old vest my uncle used to wear back when we raced many moons ago. Probably sounds corny, but it was a wonderful gift. Then lunch after church at my favorite barbecue joint and the rest of the afternoon shopping. Critter made out like a bandit, I scored a pair of sandals, and my wife came away empty handed.

This morning we had our first call from a couple who want to come see the house. I'm a little nervous about the whole process seeing as how I've never even sold a car, but I think I have an excellent advisor to help me through. Now the fire is really lit to get the bathroom put back together.

Sorry to ramble on, but it was definitely a great weekend! :D

JayStPeter
06-21-2004, 5:51 PM
I don't usually post here on the weekend accomplishments, but it was a banner weekend for woodworking. After our first childless vacation in 4 yrs., I came home to a 3 day Fathers Day weekend and was allowed to spend lots of time in the shop. Last night, I officially finished the construction phase of my new shop. The dust collector is plumbed and ready to go. Tonight, I'll start tuning my machines. Woohoo. :D :D The downside is there's no money left for wood. :(

I took a Tylerload of pics along the way and will be writing it up as time permits over the next week or two. The basement soundproofing works great. I had the tunes cranked to 11 and couldn't hear it upstairs. My wife says she can sometimes tell I have a tool running, but it doesn't bother her. Still need to fire up the planer for the ultimate test.

I now need to build lots of cabinets and workspaces as those were the things I had to leave behind when all our stuff wouldn't fit in the moving truck. The new owners sure were happy with their extra garage storage :rolleyes: .

Jay

Byron Trantham
06-21-2004, 9:23 PM
See "Sewing Room Update"

Mowed the lawn, did some serious trimming of lower branches on a pine and Magnolia tree. The limbs were at face level while driving the lawn tractor! :mad: Trees look better too.

Son, Daughter-In-Law and GRANDSON came over on Sunday. All-in-all a great Father's Day. :D