PDA

View Full Version : No Father's Day Gloats?

Dave Avery
06-21-2004, 9:38 AM
All,

I figured I'd see several gloats for tool related Father's Day gifts, but nothing appears to have surfaced.

Anyway, I'll start off....... a brand new Tormek from LOML. It's a great gift and one she actually was able to keep a secret until yesterday. Being a confirmed power tool guy, I guess this means I can't put off m oving toward the dark side.

Dave Richards
06-21-2004, 9:48 AM
My bride told me that my father's day gift was my son Ian who turned 7 weeks old on father's day. :D

Ian did buy me a copy of SketchUp, too. :p

Russ Filtz
06-21-2004, 9:55 AM
I bought myself a drillpress, does that count? SWMBO doesn't like my tool spending, even though she spends a fortune on jewelry :eek:

Jason Roehl
06-21-2004, 10:06 AM
No tools here, but got a bag for carrying my softball gear around. Biggest gloat was that I got to spend quite a bit of time with my 3 little ones.

Steve Clardy
06-21-2004, 10:16 AM
We finally got Dish Network setup.:D Not necessarily a tool or Fathers Day present. I ordered it, and I am paying for it.:o So. Gloat?
Yea, better reception and more channels.:D
Steve

Donnie Raines
06-21-2004, 10:26 AM
Played lots of golf and chowed on lots of ribs/pork chops/steaks and other great stuff. My daughther( 7 year old) hung out with dad the entire time. :)

Scott Coffelt
06-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Sunday morning I got up at 5:45AM and headed to meet my dad for 27 holes of Golf. I then headed to a family reunion. Finally, I got a nice picture (painting of my son's foot and his picture on it, with a nice little verse) from my 4 1/2 Y.O and watched him just get plan dirty playing in the creek (just being a boy)... though the wife wants me to find something material, Sunday was more than any one man can imagine and hope for.... just being a father and a son. Gloat enough for me. ;)

Michael Cody
06-21-2004, 10:41 AM
16 year old #1 Son had to work, 11 year old & wife went to Grandma's to clean up after the Garage Sale, good friend of mine had his wife & kids w/friends @ Cedar Point so we met up @ 5:30am and went fishing until about 2pm, caught a fair number of smallmouths, redeyes, bluegills and a couple of northerns... then went back to his place and dropped a nice cherry tree with big burl on it... basically got home about 6pm .. and vegg'd out rest of the evening watching the movies .. all-in-all a pretty good day.

David Wilson
06-21-2004, 10:54 AM
SWMBO and I don't have any kids but I did get a card from my dog. Does this count?

John Miliunas
06-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Spent the bulk of the day being "Dad" with our youngest. Got calls from the two oldest (no longer living locally :( ). Typical gifts were OK, but the *awesome* gift was from my youngest: She kept her report card a secret and put it in with the FD card. She nailed "High Honors" again this year! Even though I had ordered myself a new jointer just a few days ago, it pails in comparison to this particular "gift". Proud Daddy! It just don't get no better! :cool:

Andy London
06-21-2004, 11:08 AM
My son and I went to what we refer to as the valley first thing Sunday, about 90 min from Halifax and located where most of the Apple/Pear/Plum trees are located.

I had met an old guy at the farmers market who told me he lost a lot of fruit trees last year during the hurriane, to my suprise he was burning the wood for heat.... :eek:

So I asked if my son could have a few pieces for turning and he said to take whatever I wanted....so....we took my truck and a trailer down and filled them to the hilt :D

It was a super day! We turned a few bowls after we sealed all the logs, man is apple ever a joy to turn, colors are amazing as is the smell.....will try some plum and pear later in the week...... :cool: At the rate we are going through Anchorseal....might be a good company to buy shares in.

Andy

Hal Flynt
06-21-2004, 11:26 AM
I got a new hose powered wash brush and extendable squeegie with some "car wash" for my truck. :)

SWMBO: "Your tools cost too much for me to buy, you'll have to buy them." :rolleyes:

Not a bad thing!

James Carmichael
06-21-2004, 11:30 AM
My bride told me that my father's day gift was my son Ian who turned 7 weeks old on father's day. :D

Ian did buy me a copy of SketchUp, too. :p

LOL Dave, I got some really nice pics of my Ian, who is 21 months.

Besides having the cutest toddler on the planet, my gloats are a totally unsolicited gift and visit from my grown & married daughter and a card from
my teenaged girl (also unsolicited).

Dave Richards
06-21-2004, 11:31 AM
SWMBO and I don't have any kids but I did get a card from my dog. Does this count?

I think so but that reminds me, my dog didn't get me a card this year. She always has in the past. I wonder if she's mad at me for bringing the boy home.

Mark Patoka
06-21-2004, 11:31 AM
I guess I could justify the Delta BOSS sander I bought a couple weeks ago as an early Father's Day present. Otherwise we just did some family things and checked out a new BarBQ restaurant that opened and then we went and spent a couple hours shooting off model rockets that my boys and I built.

Mike Stanton
06-21-2004, 11:39 AM
:D I got a 17 inch grizzly drill press with mobel base and a cross sliding vice.
Mike :D

Chris Padilla
06-21-2004, 12:05 PM
I have to admit that I don't feel much like a Dad with my daughter being away at the Grandparent's in Europe since March but thankfully she is coming back in late July...I can hardly wait and the time is drawing close...4 weeks and counting! :D

On the other hand, I phoned my Dad and informed him that the 16" Walker-Turner bandsaw I bought earlier this year is now officially HIS bandsaw! He was shocked and quite thankful and I was quite happy to do this for him. I've had my MM20 for almost a month now and it was hard holding back and waiting for Father's Day to inform him but it sure was a lot of fun to hear his happiness.

He said, "Well, I guess I can put some real wheels on it now!" He has had it sitting on a furniture dolly since he picked it up so that will be his first project with his "new" bandsaw! :D

Keith Starosta
06-21-2004, 12:44 PM
My seven year old son (Nicholas) handed me a big thick, overstuffed envelope first thing Sunday morning. I opened it to find the card he made himself, along with a miniature sized wolverine statue (GO BLUE!!! :D). There was also a gift card to the HD stuffed in there. His words....."Mommy says we don't have no idea what you want, so I bought you this..." LOL!! What a great kid!

We spent a bunch of time in the pool playing and laughing, but I think my favorite "present" of the day was watching my 9 month old daughter pull herself up on the coach, let go and take a step before she fell to her bottom. Proud Pappa, indeed.... :cool:

Keith

Ray Dockrey
06-21-2004, 12:51 PM
I got an eleven week old Cocker Spanial puppy. He is solid black with a wisp of white under his chin. I have wanted one for a long time so the wife and kids surprised me with him on Sat.

Matthew Dworman
06-21-2004, 2:19 PM
My wonderful wife got me this: :)
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/images/66_peg.jpg
(as well as a list of new projects to start!)
Matt

Tyler Howell
06-21-2004, 2:52 PM
Long distance call from the oldest said she starts cutting up cadavers in Med. school tomorrow.
We've been through this "my baby is far from home" before but it is hard to believe she is off in the world doing good things. We had many dreams and prayers as she was growing up but now it has come full circle. I think she realizes that she isn't the little girl anymore. I got the gushy card for the first time yesterday. They have always been cute & funny before, so this one is pretty special. As I said yesterday, Parenting is the Best thing I have ever done. One of the hardest too.:cool:

John Shuk
06-21-2004, 3:46 PM
I'm going to put the down payment on a Ford Explorer Sport Trac. I'm pretty excited about that.

Rich Konopka
06-21-2004, 4:32 PM
Long distance call from the oldest said she starts cutting up cadavers in Med. school tomorrow.
We've been through this "my baby is far from home" before but it is hard to believe she is off in the world doing good things. We had many dreams and prayers as she was growing up but now it has come full circle. I think she realizes that she isn't the little girl anymore. I got the gushy card for the first time yesterday. They have always been cute & funny before, so this one is pretty special. As I said yesterday, Parenting is the Best thing I have ever done. One of the hardest too.:cool:

Tyler, They grow up fast and she is making her way in the world. You did a good job and you should be proud. TU/TUHS is a great school and they are wonderful people there. Enjoy the card and make plenty of visits !!

Walt Quadrato
06-21-2004, 4:58 PM
from my daughter..for pops day..2 carrige maker scrapers one with a long curved handle circa1880's..and one flush handle probably turn of the century...a surprise..since I didn't think she'd noticed the scraper horde in my shop.. :) It doesn't get any better than that!

walt q

Steven Wilson
06-21-2004, 5:17 PM
Besides stocking up on the aftershave, my kids (5&6) gave me a great present by leaving me alone at the house for a few hours, it was great being left in peace to watch the USGP. Of course that night they took me out to eat at Chuck E Cheese's (hmmmmm).

Chuck Wintle
06-21-2004, 5:26 PM
Well my father's day gloat is the operation on my son's eye turned out ok. After a long day in the hospital for him the surgeon was able to correct the left eye which was turned inwards. His glasses were at the maximum diopter to correct for this and still he had problems with double vision etc. So it makes me happy that all seems to be on the right track.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-21-2004, 6:23 PM
with a Jet oscillating spindle sander. :) She's one of the best! :D

Tyler Howell
06-21-2004, 7:28 PM
Tyler, They grow up fast and she is making her way in the world. You did a good job and you should be proud. TU/TUHS is a great school and they are wonderful people there. Enjoy the card and make plenty of visits !!
Thanks Rich.
I always wonder "if i had only...... maybe a little more of..... I should have....".
She's beautiful and she's smart and she's wright thinking and I'm blessed and very proud.;)

Tim Morton
06-22-2004, 1:20 AM
we bought a "family" present. in the form of an above ground swimming pool. Something we set out to do last year but couldn't pull the trigger. Last i checked we weren't getting any younger, so it was installed today and I'm up tonight monitoring the well, and just looking out in the yard smiling. :cool:

bob williams
06-22-2004, 8:23 AM
A Delta Kickstand at a garage sale for $50.00.....she's smart and thrifty!!!!