PDA

View Full Version : Kerosene Stain?

John Towns
01-05-2009, 12:07 PM
I goofed. This was not one of my 'brightest' moments. :mad: Last week, I was filling the tank of a kerosene heater using a plastic siphon. That part went fine, but then, I set the siphon down and several drops of kerosene spilled onto the unfinished top of a tiger maple lowboy I am making. (I know, what was I THINKING!).
By the time I realized what I had done, there was a wet spot the size of a small can (about 3 " in diameter) created by the kerosene. I blotted out what I could but a wet spot remained. I waited for a day or so and then sanded the entire top starting at 120 grit. The spot is no longer visible but I am concerned about the effect on finishing the piece.
I was planning to use analine dye followed by a gel stain. Do you think I will be constantly reminded of my lapse in judgement?

John

Michael McCoy
01-05-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't have an answer but an easy way to find out is to duplicate what you already did on some scrap and see what happens. If contamination is still there, it should be fairly obvious.

Steve Schoene
01-05-2009, 1:17 PM
I suppose it depends on what finish you have in mind, but a little residual kerosene shouldn't have much impact on any oil based finish. Kerosene is pretty much a slower evaporating mineral spirit. You could even use it to thin oil based finishes if you wanted REAL slow drying. Just wipe your surface with a lighter mineral spirit, perhaps naphtha to remove any residual. You could have done this immediately, rather than sanding.

glenn bradley
01-05-2009, 1:22 PM
I'm with Michael. The way to know for sure is to duplicate the kerosene spill on a few scraps. Follow your full sanding and prep protocol and then try your finishes. If you have issues with water as a vehicle, try DNA. I don't know that one or the other is a "fix" but at least you can test them out on scrap and be confident going forward.

Jason Roehl
01-05-2009, 2:12 PM
I'd get the piece under an incandescent or halogen lamp, or in the sun, or generally just warmer for a day or so. That should get any kerosene to leach out and evaporate.

Like Steve said, a small amount of residual kerosene shouldn't affect any oil-based finishes, and you could always put on a "washcoat" of sanding sealer, or shellac may even work, too.

Jim W. White
01-06-2009, 6:05 PM
Having done the exact same thing, the exact same way (also on a piece of fiddleback maple) I can tell you ....no worries, all will be fine. :)
I like Steve's idea of wicking it off with the naptha though!

Jim in Idaho

John Towns
01-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks to each of you for your advice! It is much appreciated.

I am close to finishing...I have to route the top edge, attach to the base, and then sand, sand and sand the entire piece prior to finishing. I will test with a scrap piece similar to the top to give me 'piece of mind'.

Have a great 2009!

John