PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on using spray paint

Derek Larson
01-05-2009, 11:39 AM
I am building a small cabinet mostly out of mdf (except for the rails and stiles). I recently built a small bookcase using mdf and rolled the paint on and was not happy with the results (found out later I should have used floetrol). Now I would like to try my hand at spray painting I do not have the the money to buy a hvlp or any other type of spray system, so I was going to buy some cans of rust oleum and give it a shot. Based on what I have read is the following method sound: Prime the project and sand between coats, paint using a flat or satin paint (sand between coats here?) and finish with a clear coat. Rust Oleum has a product spray can for each of these so I figured I would give it a shot. Thank you

Jim Becker
01-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Surface preparation is the key to a good finish, no matter how you will apply the paint, but especially with spraying as the coats are usually thinner physically and will "telegraph" any poor surfaces under them. Inconsistent surfaces will often make sheen inconsistent, too. I would not use flat with the Rust Oleum spray bombs...I think you'll get a better end result using the intended gloss. But that's me...

Derek Larson
01-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Thank you Jim, so you would use gloss and leave out the clear coat, or still apply a clear coat to the finish? Also, you say preparation is the key I was under the impression that mdf is suitable to paint right away (obviously after a good cleaning and fixing obvious knicks) if my assumption is wrong what do you use to prep mdf, (I will be using a spackle on the cut ends).
Thank you

Jim Becker
01-05-2009, 2:18 PM
The factory "face" of MDF is very nice for painting after a good primer coat for "tooth", but any edges or milled areas need to be filled and smoothed prior to priming and painting in order to insure that your paint surface is as good there as it is on the face.

The clear coat decision is preference. It may or may not add additional depth. My suggestion would be to do some samples (spray bombs are not that expensive) and make that decision based on what you see. Use MDF and prepare the samples exactly the same way you will for your project.