PDA

View Full Version : Tech Question

Jason Christenson
01-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Any reasonably cheap way to get music wirelessly (SP?) from my laptop to my stereo across the room?

Jason

Joe Chritz
01-05-2009, 11:10 AM
There are wireless stereo out to FM hookups available. I expect BestBuy or Circuit city or similar should have something. It would plug in to the stereo out and transmit to a FM station that is empty.

You will need to check range since lots are made for MP3 players in cars.

That is likely the easiest. There are other systems available that integrate all the components together also.

Joe

Eric Franklin
01-05-2009, 3:13 PM
If you are using iTunes for your music, you would want to buy an Apple Airport Express (http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/).

An Airport Express is designed to do exactly that but only from iTunes without 3rd party hacks.

Jason Christenson
01-05-2009, 3:15 PM
I just ordered an FM transmitter from C Crane.

Jason

Mark Engel
01-05-2009, 3:21 PM
I picked up a couple of SMC EZ-Stream (SMCWMR-AG-CA) units from 'the bay' for pretty cheap. Haven't hooked them up yet, though.

They can use cat-5 for direct connect or 802.11a/g wireless for audio and video streaming from PC to your a/v receiver.

Jason Christenson
01-13-2009, 8:01 PM
I got the FM transmitter today. I'm sending it back tomorrow. Too many electronics in my office causing interference, I guess. Before I left work tonight I drilled all the holes I need to run RCA cables through one wall, across the false ceiling, and down through the wall behind the shelf with the stereo. Oh well, this will be a lot cheaper anyway.

Jason

Jim Mattheiss
01-13-2009, 9:49 PM
Jason:

I just saw your post and my experience with the C Crane FM Transmitter was mediocre at best. I kept mine but it's gathering dust in the basement.

I literally picked up a pair of 900MHz wireless speakers at the curb during garbage pickup. They work good - they aren't awesome but they sound pretty good for free.

Good move running the wires. I run wired appliances whenever possible. My dining room has 2 cat-5 jacks.

Jim