PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Top Question

Steve Mellott
01-05-2009, 9:36 AM
I am getting ready to make a router table top and have a basic question. Do I cut the table insert hole and T-track channel first and then glue the formica or do I glue the formica first and then cut the table insert hole and T-track channel? Thanks.

Steve

Joe Scharle
01-05-2009, 9:52 AM
I've built 2 and put the formica down first.

Greg Hines, MD
01-05-2009, 9:56 AM
I would suggest taping the area you are cutting to keep the laminate from chipping, but would put down the laminate and make sure it is well bonded before you start cutting holes or tracks in it. Your substrate also matters a lot. I used Melamine covered particle board for my top, and while I like it, it does chip a lot.

Doc

Bill White
01-05-2009, 10:05 AM
from a cabinet shop. Two cut-outs glued back-to-back. Of course the laminate was already on, and if you are gonna build up your tops, I would suggest that you put the laminate on first.
Have had the top for 5+ years with no warping. Used the Lee Valley round router base.
Bill

Paul Steiner
01-05-2009, 10:25 AM
If you use a straight router bit to cut out the hole and rabbet for the table insert then you can out the laminate on first. But if you are cutting out the insert with anything else, put the laminate on after and clean the edges up with a flush trim bit. I like this option because you can machine the table and not worry about scarring the formica. But depending on what you may be using you might not have the option.

I would cut the miter slot after putting the formica on, I have done this with a dado and it cuts it nicely.

Danny Thompson
01-05-2009, 11:41 AM
I have done the same and went Formica first. No chipout.

Myk Rian
01-05-2009, 11:45 AM
If the laminate was put on first, would it be prudent to score the laminate, very lightly with the bit, before going for the depth of the dado?