PDA

View Full Version : Adapter building 101

Jeff Nicol
01-05-2009, 9:04 AM
Hey all, Seems to be every few weeks someone needs an adapter from something to some thing. A month or so ago I bought a tap and die set that had all the larger taps and dies in it that would let me do up to 1"x8tpi with every thing inbetween so I made this pen mandrel to fit 7/8"x14tpi. Ted Prinz was looking for something like this on 1/2/09. I had the piece of aluminum in the shop and all the rest was in the junk drawers and hardware bins. Took me about a hour or so to get it all figured out and put together. This morning after the J.B. Weld was set I mounted it on a1"x8tpi to 7/8"x14tpi spindle adapter I made out of some hardwood. I had to soak the threads a couple times in Ca to keep the chipping to a minimum. So anyway I polished it up and made sure the bushings fit. I did all the work on my wood lathe and it was not a problem,since pen turning involves very little weight of the blanks I think the threaded cap for the headstock could be made from a hard maple or even some sort of plastic. That will be my next project!

Here is the proof! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Jeff

Bill Bolen
01-05-2009, 6:54 PM
Fantastic job! Look out now, you will probably be getting all kinds of pm's for some sort of machinist work...Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
01-05-2009, 7:01 PM
Nice work Jeff! Always happy to see folks figure out other ways to do something! Thanks for sharing!

Jeff Nicol
01-05-2009, 10:49 PM
I love the challenge of making something out of nothing much! I had bought the tap and die set for $57 plus shipping! The closest I found for that large of set was well over $100 so I bought them. It is nice to have them in the shop. I made another one today but used a 2"x2" solid piece of gray PVC and the PVC turns so nice and is very sturdy!

My next tool is a CNC router table, I have all the parts and have been practicing the computer work so as soon as I get the room finished on the garage I will build that! It is a big project but I have always wanted one. It will have a 33"x 48" cutting area.

Thanks,

Jeff :rolleyes:

Michael Faurot
01-05-2009, 11:39 PM
I had bought the tap and die set for $57 plus shipping!

Where did you get this tap and die set from?

Jeff Nicol
01-06-2009, 9:09 AM
I found it on Amazon and I am truly happy that I bought it. Not sure if it is still on there but I hope so for others!

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
01-06-2009, 9:14 AM
Here is the set I bought. Hope it helps you out.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Grade-Large-Piece-High-Strength-Alloy/dp/B000JOOFL2/ref=pd_cp_hi_2?pf_rd_p=413863601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000I42FXI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1BJM785Y2JAZK43HNXMX

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
01-06-2009, 9:53 AM
Great looking project Jeff. Thanks for sharing.

Paul Atkins
01-06-2009, 1:41 PM
I think I'm missing something. I don't get why you had to make a wooden adapter if you had the taps for 1". Why not make the adapter fit your lathe spindle?