PDA

View Full Version : Finger in Tablesaw

Steve Clarkson
01-05-2009, 7:29 AM
A little OT.....but very interesting for anyone that uses a tablesaw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHrmvQKevfI&eurl=http://www.jaggle.nl/index.php/media/item/sawstop/

Dan Hintz
01-05-2009, 8:53 AM
I saw this product when it was first introduced years ago (but no saw company would pick it up due to the extra cost), but this is the first high-speed photography I've ever seen of it.

Angus Hines
01-05-2009, 8:55 AM
NOW that is KOOL.....But, it appears you have to buy the whole saw it's not a retrofit product.

http://www.sawstop.com/

Scott Shepherd
01-05-2009, 9:00 AM
It's been out for a while and you want to see a firestorm, mention it in the woodworkers forum. You'll find people who think it's the best thing ever and people who thinks it's the worst thing ever. It's one of the few debates I have seen in woodworking that causes so much conflict when it's discussed.

Someone posted a link to where they were featuring it on the tv show "Time Warp". They used slow motion cameras and the owner of the company actually put his finger into the running saw and they filmed it. That might be what the link above is, I didn't look, but it was quite amazing to watch in slow motion, and it didn't even draw a single drop of blood from him.

Zachery Thomas
01-05-2009, 9:01 AM
It was for the show 'Time Warp' on Discovery Channel:
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/time-warp/time-warp.html

Not even a nick on his finger, very amazing technology.

Destructive to the mechanism and saw, but you still have the finger so a small price to pay.

Scott Myers
01-05-2009, 9:23 AM
Only destructive to the brake machanism and saw blade, not the saw itself. Takes about 5 minutes to change out the brake and put a new blade in.

...Destructive to the mechanism and saw...

Shawn Gillies
01-05-2009, 9:50 AM
I watched that awhile back.

Did you notice how Slooooooow he approached the running blade?

My hands travel one heck of a lot faster than that when I run any wood through my Table Saw.

Still, it was interesting to watch.

Tim Bateson
01-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Hey "Nine Fingers" - Does this bring back any memories, or was it a router that bit you?

Mitchell Andrus
01-05-2009, 10:32 AM
I watched that awhile back.

Did you notice how Slooooooow he approached the running blade?

My hands travel one heck of a lot faster than that when I run any wood through my Table Saw.

I saw this demo'd live and the operator ran a hot dog into the blade many times faster than I would ever move a piece of wood. The nick on the hot dog was smaller than some splinters I've gotten. I does work quite well.

The controversy is/was that he is (or was) trying to get his patented technology to become the legislated standard making all other saws illegal to sell - perhaps even as used tools.

Frank Corker
01-05-2009, 11:41 AM
I do my fingernails using one of those saws but I've never used that braking system, maybe I should invest, what do you think?

Dan Hintz
01-05-2009, 4:17 PM
The controversy is/was that he is (or was) trying to get his patented technology to become the legislated standard making all other saws illegal to sell - perhaps even as used tools.
That's right, I forgot about that part. I'm all for offering safety equipment that prevents injury/death due to others negligence (airbags come to mind), but legislating this safety tool to prevent self-injury from your own negligence? Nah, not having any of that.

George M. Perzel
01-05-2009, 6:45 PM
Hi Gang;
This ranks right up there with forcing folks to wear asbestos gloves while cooking and making hammers with foam rubber heads so you don't smash your thumb-when is this great society of ours going to get some common sense and quit trying to protect me . I really wish I could figure how to disable the auto lock on my pickup which locks all the doors when put into Drive (all solutions appreciated). Haven't lost anyone in 55 years of driving (do cats count??-didn't think so).
Anyway-have a nice day
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Mike DeRegnaucourt
01-05-2009, 8:27 PM
Hey "Nine Fingers" - Does this bring back any memories, or was it a router that bit you?

Hi Tim! It was a router table accident that nearly removed my left index finger. Luckily through surgery they were able to reattach the tendon and now I only have some stiffness in that finger. As soon as I read that "nine fingers" I knew exactly who you were referring to. LOL! Thanks for the trip down memory lane...I think. :rolleyes:

Mitchell Andrus
01-05-2009, 10:15 PM
George, My Chrysler minivans have all started out with that feature turned on by default. It's something like... turn the ignition on and off 3 times and hit the lock button - on Chryslers anyway.

...no kidding...