PDA

View Full Version : Pinched fingers on webbed TS extension FIXED

Bill Huber
01-04-2009, 11:05 PM
The way this came up was from another post about getting some cast iron extensions for my Jet TS.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100610

The extensions I got are the webbed type from an old Craftsman saw. I had two people reply with the comment about pinching your fingers when using them, I could see how this could happen when doing cross cuts.

Bruce Page gave me the fix for it, and it works very well and takes almost no time to do. Again Thank You Bruce.
Bruce did not have pictures of his fix because he sold the saw many years ago but I thought it was a very good idea so I am posting it for Bruce.

There is not a lot to it and it takes all of about 30 min. to do it all. I used 3/16 inch hardboard / masonite. Just cut the strips the length and width you need and that's about it. I did round the corners off and put a bevel on the ends so they would set better into my extensions.
I have just a little double tape back tape holding mine on at this time because I am going to pull the extensions off to paint them. You can glue them on as Bruce did.

105803 105805 105804

Steve Vaughn
01-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Very clean looking install!

Steve

James Manning
01-05-2009, 9:45 AM
Nice fix Bill, I still have my "blue" Jet contractors saw and it has served me well. I am going to set it up for dado work, mine like yours has the metal extension wings and I would like to find some CI for it and do what you have done.

thanks,

Jim Becker
01-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Good solution, Bob.

Joe Chritz
01-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Very nice. I have gotten my fingers on the openings on the Ridgid saw I have and have thought about doing something similar. I even though about filling it with bondo or epoxy.

Am I the only one who can pinch fingers on the miter slots? :o

Joe

Bill Huber
01-05-2009, 7:15 PM
Nice fix Bill, I still have my "blue" Jet contractors saw and it has served me well. I am going to set it up for dado work, mine like yours has the metal extension wings and I would like to find some CI for it and do what you have done.

thanks,

James, just watch Craigs list and you can find them, I missed one about 2 months ago and then this one came up last week.
There are a lot of TS out there and a lot of them have aluminum extensions on them that is the only thing you really have to look out for.

Good luck..

Jeff Qualmann
01-05-2009, 7:47 PM
Trust me you aren't the only one.

Twice, I've had to run employees to the clinic after they "scissored" off the end of finger caught between the fence and a miter gauge slot as they slid the fence in position. Luckily, it hurts like hell and bleeds pretty good but caused no lasting damage. It's amazing what two sharp edges and a pinch point will do. Better than having a blade do the damage.

Dave Sweeney
01-05-2009, 7:50 PM
Nice job Bill. I did the same thing to my Ridgid saw a few years ago and its worked out very well for me.

Bruce Page
01-05-2009, 8:37 PM
That dresses up the saw nicely!

Sonny Edmonds
01-05-2009, 9:15 PM
You couldn't do that on my old Craftsman 100 TS...
So I learned (the hard way) to pay attention, instead of child proofing my saw.
All the blood blisters did finally go away though. :D

Nice fix, Bill!
Now then, what do you say to some fiddle back Maple?
How about some Zebra wood?
Ebony?
Oh! Checkerboard! :D

Bill Huber
01-05-2009, 9:20 PM
You couldn't do that on my old Craftsman 100 TS...
So I learned (the hard way) to pay attention, instead of child proofing my saw.
All the blood blisters did finally go away though. :D

Nice fix, Bill!
Now then, what do you say to some fiddle back Maple?
How about some Zebra wood?
Ebony?
Oh! Checkerboard! :D

I was thinking of some Mahogany with an Maple inlay of arrows showing me which way to push the wood.:D

Ken Higginbotham
01-28-2009, 2:40 PM
That looks too nice to cut on - :)

Stephen Edwards
01-28-2009, 2:47 PM
Looks great Bill! I would have never thought of that. Another good reason to be part of this great community of woodworkers!

I've surely gotten back in spades the small amount of money that I've paid to be a contributor, here at SMC!

Todd Crow
01-28-2009, 6:26 PM
I did the same thing to my Craftsman TS. I had some offcut strips and edge glued them together and screwed them in the wings.

I poly'd them, and then everytime the top got waxed they got it as well. Made waxing the top easier as well

Todd

http://www.crowsnest.us/images/DCP_0040.JPG

Bill Huber
01-28-2009, 9:00 PM
I did the same thing to my Craftsman TS. I had some offcut strips and edge glued them together and screwed them in the wings.

I poly'd them, and then everytime the top got waxed they got it as well. Made waxing the top easier as well

Todd

Now that is way to nice to cut on.... I did wax the top of mine when I waxed everything else.