PDA

View Full Version : WW show deals?

Steve Busey
01-04-2009, 9:47 PM
The rumor mill says some vendors don't want to pay return freight on the big machines they bring to WW shows, so are willing to make a deal. Has anyone here gotten a deal on a lathe (or other big tool) at a show? What kind of deal? Thanks...

Ryan Baker
01-04-2009, 9:55 PM
Sure it's possible. But most of those machines just have to go to the next city for the next show anyway. I doubt many vendors give a discount just to avoid taking the floor samples home -- maybe 'demo unit' pricing and show discounts.

Chip Sutherland
01-04-2009, 10:41 PM
I went to the Rocky Mtn Symposium this year in Loveland, CO. There was a vendor there selling Vicmarc lathes. They had a pretty good deal on an L175? (the one with the swiveling headstock). Having flown to CO, I wasn't sure if I could claim it as my second bag and pay just the extra $25 to fly it back to Dallas.

I don't remember who the vendor was...I had an extra empty suitcase for the wood I purchased.

Tony Greenway
01-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Steve, I'm a cabinetmaker located in the north Ga mountains about 1.5 hours from Atlanta, Ga. I went to the big woodworking show back in August and bought about $7500 of show machinery for $5500 (which included a VEGA 2600 bowl lathe). The only drawback was having to wait until the show ended to take my boxtruck to the rear loading docks. It was forklift crazy back there, but I'm sure glad I did it. :D

Jim Becker
01-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Some tool manufacturers/vendors will offer specials on show-floor/demo units, but you most often need to make arrangements in advance 'cause those that do this get buyers pretty early. (I bought 2 Minimax machines this way with good deals and no shipping...but also had to pre-pay)

Steve Mellott
01-05-2009, 1:59 PM
Jim makes a good point. Many people think the good buys come on Sunday night when the vendors decide they don't want to load the truck. That's possible, but you see a lot of sold signs on the demo equipment on Friday afternoon.

Steve

Steve Busey
01-05-2009, 3:43 PM
Thanks, guys - I'll ask around early in the show.

Ken Glass
01-05-2009, 5:41 PM
Steve,
I was at last years WWing Show at St. Louis and bought my PM 3520B for $2200 including tax. The dealer is only 30 miles from me, and even loaded for me on my trailer. I thought that was a great deal.

Dick Strauss
01-05-2009, 6:34 PM
Steve,
I went to the Novi, MI WW show a few years ago. I was very disappointed that "sale" prices weren't as good as I could get by going to the local stores. I also thought that Sunday would be the day to get the deal but had no luck though I did ask plenty of folks. The woodturning booth (CSUSA I think) didn't even bring a Stronghold chuck to the weekend show (though it was on my WTB list).:(

OT-Yeah 1000 posts...Now only 32,168 more posts to catch up with JB!

Michael Gibbons
01-05-2009, 6:51 PM
I bought a Unisaw a few years ago at a show and I thought I got a good deal.

3 hp

right tilt

52" Bies fence

blade

insert

mobile base

free 14 v cordless drill

they disassembled it and loaded it into the minivan while the show was going on :D:D

$ 1,545.00 taxes included. Brand new

Steve Busey
01-06-2009, 4:58 PM
bought my PM 3520B for $2200 including tax.

Now THAT'S a deal I could live with!!