PDA

View Full Version : good stuff to clean/maintain tool tops?

Brian Peters
01-04-2009, 9:16 PM
Wondering if you creekers had any recommendations for cleaning and rejuvenating old tops. I've used top-cote for years as a general wax for jointers/shapers/table saws or planers but want something to clean and really bring back the steel tops. Thanks!

Pat Germain
01-04-2009, 9:32 PM
There are many methods. Which is best depends on how bad the surfaces are. If your cast iron surfaces are just a little grimey and not coated in rust, you might try going over them with a Scotch Brite pad. It will remove the grime and very little, if any, iron. You can put a vibrating palm sander on top of it for some power action.

You can also add a cleaning agent; 409, WD-40 or one of the many products designed for cleaning cast iron. Dollars to doughnuts, a Scotch Brite pad and some 409 or WD-40 will get your iron clean and shiny.

Once your iron is clean, again, there are many choices to keep it that way. I've had good results just using Johnson's Past Wax. It's cheap and effective; two features I prefer. Some people report lousy results using past wax in damp, humid climates. Some have good results with Renaissance Wax or T-9 Boeshield. I would recommend trying paste wax and then moving on to something more expensive if that doesn't work.

Sonny Edmonds
01-04-2009, 10:10 PM
I use my ROS with 220 grit paper. Then Johnson's Paste wax.
Usually fresh iron needs several coats to get it slickery. I put 6 on my saw when it was new, to get what I considered slickery. :)

Dewey Torres
01-05-2009, 1:38 AM
Brain,
Please adhere to the great advice above. No matter what you do I suggest you AT LEAST consider the Bo-shield T-9 set of 3 and keep it handy.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/boeshieldrvu.html

Brian Peters
01-05-2009, 6:45 AM
Thanks for the info, will stop by woodcraft today and buy that package of t-9; looks great from newwoodworker's review video.

Carlos Alden
01-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Brian:

I bought this from Woodcraft:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=145198&FamilyID=4948

I used it on an older jointer that had been sitting in a garage for some time. The top had rust that was a little bit deeper than surface in some spots. This stuff cleaned it up really well. Finished with Boeshield and some wax.

Carlos

Brian Peters
01-05-2009, 1:25 PM
thanks Carlos, I would say my tops are in decent shape but want to maintain them.. keep them smooth and clean. Will likely be dropping some money in woodcraft, I go in there for the topsaver/t9 and come out with a new power tool, lumber etc. :eek:

Keith Christopher
01-05-2009, 5:01 PM
mineral oil with 0000 steel wool, wipe dry w/ lint free, then 5 or 6 coats of johnson's paste wax. Works everytime !