PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Freud 2-1/4hp router, model FT1702VCE

Stephen Edwards
01-04-2009, 8:49 PM
I need some info, from anyone who owns the Freud router mentioned in the title above, please.

If the fixed base of this router is under the table, what is the maximum amount of vertical travel of the router. On the specs of the router I've read that the "depth capacity" of the router is 1.75 inches. Does "depth capacity"mean the same thing as what I'm calling vertical travel?

I'm interested in this router for table use because of the above the table bit change and height adjustment feature. However, I want to be able to also have the router bit retracted completely below the table. Will I be able to do that with this fix based of this router mounted under the table? Any info from owners of this Freud router would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Michael Stanley
01-04-2009, 9:08 PM
I have mine mounted in a 1/2" thick top. In the fully raised position the collet nut is just barely above the table top. As far as lowering it with a bit mounted that's going to depend on the length of the bit. I've used mine the most with a coping bit to make cabinet doors. The sticking bit is mounted in another table. With the coping bit I can lower the bit below table surface. With a longer flush trim bit with bearing guide It won't go below table top.

Stephen Edwards
01-04-2009, 10:41 PM
I have mine mounted in a 1/2" thick top. In the fully raised position the collet nut is just barely above the table top. As far as lowering it with a bit mounted that's going to depend on the length of the bit. I've used mine the most with a coping bit to make cabinet doors. The sticking bit is mounted in another table. With the coping bit I can lower the bit below table surface. With a longer flush trim bit with bearing guide It won't go below table top.

Thanks. That answers my question. I appreciate it very much.

Bill White
01-05-2009, 9:55 AM
Not to hijack, but what is the general opinion of the router?
I ordered one for $99.97, and will use it in the router table. Does it have the same base plate screw pattern as my DW 690?
Bill

Charles McCracken
01-05-2009, 1:47 PM
Not to hijack, but what is the general opinion of the router?
I ordered one for $99.97, and will use it in the router table. Does it have the same base plate screw pattern as my DW 690?
Bill

The FT1700 mounting hole pattern is the same as the PC 690. Extra holes are required for the above table features.

Justin Leiwig
01-05-2009, 2:06 PM
The FT1700 mounting hole pattern is the same as the PC 690. Extra holes are required for the above table features.

What about bushings? Can I use PC bushings? Or do I need special Freud bushings? I couldn't determine from the manual what I needed.

Charles McCracken
01-05-2009, 2:30 PM
The FT1100 adapter plate is required to use PC and Freud template guide bushings.

Bill White
01-05-2009, 3:52 PM
The FT1100 adapter plate is required to use PC and Freud template guide bushings.

do I get the adapter plate?
Lowe's here (in Tupelo, MS) won't even know what I'm talkin' about. Get it direct from Freud?
Bill

Porter Bassett
01-05-2009, 4:37 PM
When I google "FT1100 adapter plate", the first hit is for Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FT1100-Template-Adapter-Routers/dp/B00004RJYV

Justin Leiwig
01-05-2009, 6:38 PM
Lowe's here (in Tupelo, MS) won't even know what I'm talkin' about. Get it direct from Freud?
Bill

I didn't get one in my kit..looks like another accessory to purchase. It would have been nice if they stated that in the instructions!

Charles McCracken
01-06-2009, 9:22 AM
Bill

Bill,

The FT1100 is an optional accessory and can be ordered through Lowe's or any other Freud dealer using the Freud item number. It is also available in the FT2020 Template Guide Set. We offer direct sales for power tool replacement parts but not for accessories.

Bill White
01-06-2009, 9:32 AM
Hope to have the router up and runnin' this week.
Bill