PDA

View Full Version : Info on how to use corian for pens

Jim Ketron
06-21-2004, 12:22 AM
Hello everyone Im interested in using corian to make some freedom pens
Is there someone that can help me with the steps on how to use it?
EX what glue? CA? to glue it up?
can you sand up to 400 grit and then use EEE Ultra Shine, it says you can use it on plastic and it will sand it to 2000 grit?
the reason I ask is I already have some on hand and I dont have any Micro-Mesh but I can get some if I can't use the EEE
How does it turn?
Thanks
Jim

Seth Bollinger
06-21-2004, 12:32 AM
It has been a long time since I used corian but I know that the other acrylics I've turned lately I ust the med. thickeness CA glue for the tubes. Also for sanding I stop at wal-mart or autozone, in thier autobody section is silicone carbide in grits down to 2000 grit. Then I follow with 3 "grits" of polising compound that I applie while on the lathe. This will produce a very high gloss. Hope that helps :)

Mike Leonard
06-21-2004, 5:29 AM
Jim,

CA glue will work just fine. I sand to 400 or 600 and apply Hut Acrylic polish and get a high gloss shine. I don't see the need to sand much further. Check out Klingspor for a wide range of sandpaper types and grits.
Hope this helps.

Ken Salisbury
06-21-2004, 6:18 AM
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 78426" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Mike Leonard</TD><TD class=alt2>Jim,

CA glue will work just fine. I sand to 400 or 600 and apply Hut Acrylic polish and get a high gloss shine. I don't see the need to sand much further. Check out Klingspor for a wide range of sandpaper types and grits.
Hope this helps.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I agree - I use the same procedure. I find no need to sand beyond 600 grit.
A few pics:
pic 1 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6220&stc=1) pic 2 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6813&stc=1)

Jim -- If you go to the bottom of this thread and look at some of the similar threads suggested you will find lots of information. You can also do a search "corian" and read your heart out:)

Terry Quiram
06-21-2004, 6:58 AM
Jim

The more "solid" the color the easier it will turn. Crank the speed up. Your tools won't last as long before sharpening is needed. I use Gorilla glue for gluing tubes. I sand up to 320 dry then wet sand with mineral spirits and one of those 280 sanding sponges. If you have finer grit sponges and want more shine then you could step up and wet sand a second time. If I want additional shine I will use the last 4 sheets of micro mesh.

Terry

Rob Littleton
06-21-2004, 10:36 AM
After making quite a few pens with Corian and acrylics, i decided to wet sand as a final touch. I was pretty impressed so I do it as a final now.

I usually sand to around the 400 mark then go with the wet.

To each his own. There are many ways to do Corian. Play with a couple of pieces before you turn a pen with it.

Good luck man.

Jim Ketron
06-21-2004, 5:10 PM
Thanks Guys I will see if Ken can send me some for the freedom pen project.

If there is any left!
Jim