PDA

View Full Version : Couple of small plates

Bill Embrey
01-04-2009, 8:19 PM
Here are a couple of small plates I've done during my time off for the holidays. The Black Walnut flame plate is 8" and about at the limits of my Jet Mini. The other one is Redbud and is 5". Both of them are from downed trees from the Oklahoma ice storm a year ago. Finish on both is Danish oil and then buffed and polished with Beall three wheel system.

Ron McKinley
01-04-2009, 8:55 PM
Nice work and nice wood! Thanks for sharing.....Ron

Steve Schlumpf
01-04-2009, 9:13 PM
Wow - really nice work on both of these! Love the flame pattern in the walnut and the contrasting growth rings of the redbud!

David Drickhamer
01-04-2009, 9:16 PM
Great job on the plates Bill.

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2009, 9:33 PM
Those are beauties and love the wood.

Toney Robertson
01-04-2009, 9:36 PM
Very nice Bill. I love the walnut and I have never seen redbud before.

That redbud in Mom's yard might disappear! :D

Toney

Bill Embrey
01-04-2009, 10:45 PM
thanx for the feedback, I appreciate it. Toney, I was hesitant to post my "little" plate after looking at that huge one you turned, that is a thing of beauty... maybe someday "management" will let me have a bigger lathe... someday... The Redbud was a "right place at the right time" thing... a co-worker had one that came down in the ice storm last year and about 5' of the stump was left in his backyard... I cut it down as close to the ground as possible and then he rented a stump grinder to clear the rest... I've a feeling if you attack your mom's Redbud, you'll learn you ain't too old to get a good old fashioned whippin' :D

Jim Kountz
01-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Wow now thats some fine looking grain! Both of them! I love the redbud, this is the second time I have seen something turned from it and I really want to get my hands on some. Beautiful stuff!!

Jeff Nicol
01-05-2009, 6:35 AM
Bill, Nice work over the holidays! They are both super! The finish is just right for these little gems. Seeing yours reminds me I have a bunch of small plate blanks that need attending to!

Great job!
Jeff

Bill Bolen
01-05-2009, 7:02 PM
Those are both beauties! I really love the feathering in the Walnut piece. I have a lot of Redbud trees on our property butnone big enough to do a nice size bowl or plate. But your pic sure makes me want to find a big one...Bill...