PDA

View Full Version : Tool base shelf

larry cronkite
01-04-2009, 6:43 PM
I have 4 tools mounted on metal bases (Scroll Saw, Miter Saw, Bench Grinder, Belt/Disc Sander).

I would like to mount shelves to store tools for the associated tools in each of the stands where the 2 leg sections meet (there is a lip at that location).

Has anyone done this? I am looking for ideas on how to mount the shelves (with a lip around the shelf to keep the tools from rolling out when the tool base is moved).

In case I'm not making myself clear, attached is a pic of the type of tool base I'm talking about. Each of the 4 bases is different in size.

Bill Huber
01-04-2009, 6:46 PM
The attachment is just the text of your post.

You much have got the wrong file when you uploaded it.

So could you post that picture again.

Myk Rian
01-04-2009, 6:50 PM
Just edit your post and add the pic.

Myk Rian
01-04-2009, 7:00 PM
Just measure the inside edges, cut some ply, and add some 1/4round molding to the top edges.
You'll have to partially disassemble the stands to get the shelves in.

larry cronkite
01-04-2009, 7:05 PM
Just measure the inside edges, cut some ply, and add some 1/4round molding to the top edges.
You'll have to partially disassemble the stands to get the shelves in.

I was hoping not to have to disassemble the base - but that may be the best solution

Aaron Berk
01-04-2009, 7:49 PM
Don't disassemble, just cut your shelf to perfect size, then cross or rip cut (your choice) down the middle and lay them in one at a time.

Steve Southwood
01-04-2009, 8:37 PM
Agree with Aaron, rip piece in half and install. Put and smaller piece under the bottom over the splice and glue and screw. Once the glue sets, should about as strong as original.

larry cronkite
01-05-2009, 3:47 AM
Aaron & Steve

Thanks. Just the solution I was looking for.