PDA

View Full Version : Shopsmith Founder/CEO passes away

Dave Lehnert
01-04-2009, 5:34 PM
Found this on the web.

John Randolph Folkerth
News Death Notice FOLKERTH, John Randolph 75, left this life December 19th at the Villages Hospital in Florida. He was an awesome husband for 54 years to Carolyn Folkerth and lived most of his life in Dayton. Son of Harold and Peg Folkerth, John is survived by two brothers, Gene (Anne), who live in The Villages, Florida, and Bruce (Betty), who live in Naples, Florida. He leaves three sons, John (Karen), Bob (Robin), and Dave, and nine grandchildren: Brooke, Kate, Whitney, Bill, Laura, Lisa, Lindsay, Allison, and Edward, to whom he was devoted. John started Shopsmith, Inc. in 1971, and served as Chairman and CEO for over 30 years. He attended Oakwood Schools, graduated from Baylor School in Chattanooga, and attended Vanderbilt University and the University of Dayton. John was a life-long member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Oakwood. In recent years he pursued his interest in golf and was a member of the Moraine Country Club. While his enthusiasm for the game was only exceeded by his handicap, he persevered. His spirit and smile will be dearly missed by a host of friends and relatives. Services will be held at St. Paul's Episcopal Church on December 30th at 4:00 p.m. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to St. Paul's Episcopal Church, or the charity of your choice.
Published in the Dayton Daily News on 12/24/2008 (http://www.blogger.com/email-post.g?blogID=1618741174310615548&postID=6271959118261780571)

Jason White
01-06-2009, 8:16 AM
Yep, here's a link to the official obituary...

http://www.legacy.com/Dayton/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=121779261

Very sad. A lot of us owe our love of sawdust to him! I grew up in the 70's watching my dad butcher wood on his "Mark V." He bought one immediately after watching one of those shopping mall demonstrations. That's how they used to sell 'em back then.

JW

Found this on the web.

John Randolph Folkerth
News Death Notice FOLKERTH, John Randolph 75, left this life December 19th at the Villages Hospital in Florida. He was an awesome husband for 54 years to Carolyn Folkerth and lived most of his life in Dayton. Son of Harold and Peg Folkerth, John is survived by two brothers, Gene (Anne), who live in The Villages, Florida, and Bruce (Betty), who live in Naples, Florida. He leaves three sons, John (Karen), Bob (Robin), and Dave, and nine grandchildren: Brooke, Kate, Whitney, Bill, Laura, Lisa, Lindsay, Allison, and Edward, to whom he was devoted. John started Shopsmith, Inc. in 1971, and served as Chairman and CEO for over 30 years. He attended Oakwood Schools, graduated from Baylor School in Chattanooga, and attended Vanderbilt University and the University of Dayton. John was a life-long member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Oakwood. In recent years he pursued his interest in golf and was a member of the Moraine Country Club. While his enthusiasm for the game was only exceeded by his handicap, he persevered. His spirit and smile will be dearly missed by a host of friends and relatives. Services will be held at St. Paul's Episcopal Church on December 30th at 4:00 p.m. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to St. Paul's Episcopal Church, or the charity of your choice.
Published in the Dayton Daily News on 12/24/2008 (http://www.blogger.com/email-post.g?blogID=1618741174310615548&postID=6271959118261780571)

Mike Heidrick
01-06-2009, 8:55 AM
Lot of shopsmiths out in the world. I like mine. That demo at Lowes was just plain awesome when I saw it 6-7 years ago. I was in awe. Never bought one new, and was given the one I have now, but when you watch them uninformed that demo is great (as are many WW demos at shows).

Jason White
01-06-2009, 4:21 PM
I wonder if they'll be in business much longer. Seems like the used market is bigger than the new market.

JW

Lot of shopsmiths out in the world. I like mine. That demo at Lowes was just plain awesome when I saw it 6-7 years ago. I was in awe. Never bought one new, and was given the one I have now, but when you watch them uninformed that demo is great (as are many WW demos at shows).

whit richardson
01-06-2009, 4:52 PM
Sorry to see that and sorrier still that founding and successfully running a company plus getting people into woodworking didn't get as much type as his golf game...? :confused:

John Ricci
01-06-2009, 5:12 PM
RIP JRF, your tools will live on as your legacy. I still have my Shopsmith MKV-510 with all the toys and it is my ultimate "second setup" rig in my shop whenever I need two of the same tool running at the same time with different settings. You gave us a reliable, precise woodworking system which despite the steep learning curve offered us an alternative solution to a lack of space enabling our desire to make dreams out of rough wood. Here's to you sir:cool:

J.R.

James Hart
01-06-2009, 5:15 PM
Shopsmith was ressurected by Mr Folkerth. He risked a lot to do it, and he ran a company that was committed to producing high quality products. In over 30 years as a customer, I was never once disappointed by anything I bought from them and always found their service top notch.

Shopsmith actually ran half hour infomercials in the late 70's and 80's. I bought one after watching one in 1981. Still have one even though it doesn't see much use.

I think that the quality of the Shopsmith has been their undoing in a way. They just run forever. Mr Folkerth keeping production in the USA, as noble as that was, also probably contributed to their challenges. Their prices just went up and up at a time when lower cost options were flooding the market.

Jack Wilson50
01-06-2009, 7:37 PM
The shopsmith got me into woodworking and I still have mine. Mostly used as a drill press now and once in a while a lathe, I am not a turner; sometimes you just have to. As mentioned before, they just run forever, mine is 25 years old.

Peter M. Spirito
01-06-2009, 9:17 PM
:confused: I question the 1971 date. In 1959 I was 10 years old and was using my Dad's Shopsmith.

Dave Lehnert
01-06-2009, 9:26 PM
I remember in my early teens receiving info on the Mark V. I was way too young to afford one. The Shopsmith was one of my first major purchases after getting a job. I have enjoyed using it for years. The thing is built like a tank. Unless you own one, You just don't understand.

http://www.shopsmith.com/woodworking_tools.gif

Dave Lehnert
01-06-2009, 9:40 PM
:confused: I question the 1971 date. In 1959 I was 10 years old and was using my Dad's Shopsmith.
In short the Shopsmith today is not the same Shopsmith back then. The first Shopsmith went under. John was looking for parts and ended up buying the equipment to start making the Mark V again in 1971.
Love or hate the Shopsmith, You have to admire him for keeping American made woodworking equipment alive. Most people talk about it but he walked the walk.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/toolhistory.htm

Peter M. Spirito
01-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks, Dave, for the link to the Shopsmith history. I "apprenticed" under my Dad on the Shopsmith until I was 10 years old. Then I was allowed to use it unsupervised. I still have all of my fingers and thumbs.

Dave Lehnert
01-06-2009, 10:02 PM
I wonder if they'll be in business much longer. Seems like the used market is bigger than the new market.

JW

One thought, The used market is so large because Shopsmith has made it so easy to repair their equipment with customer service and parts support.
They are now a company that supply parts and when you place an order for equipment, they build what you need from the parts inventory.

Shopsmith now offers videos on how to completly repair and replace any part on the mark V yourself. What other woodworking company does that?

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/specials/6HC38.htm?jn=10136&;kt=MKT&kr=0007538666&cnum=0007538666&epn=WUSWUPP

Richard Wagner
01-07-2009, 8:25 AM
In short the Shopsmith today is not the same Shopsmith back then. The first Shopsmith went under. John was looking for parts and ended up buying the equipment to start making the Mark V again in 1971.
Love or hate the Shopsmith, You have to admire him for keeping American made woodworking equipment alive. Most people talk about it but he walked the walk.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/toolhistory.htm

While it is true that a Shopsmith built today is not exactly the same as "back then", today's Shopsmith uses all the same basic design concepts.

Nearly all of the parts used today are compatible to the old machines. This is very important (and says a lot for the original design and for Shopsmith's business plan) because the old machines can still be repaired today. A very large percentage of those old machines are still in service today and are in excellent operating condition.

The newer machines have been changed to resolve all of the commonly recognized deficiencies of the older Mark Vs; like table is too small, rip fence is not accurate, and horse power is deficient.

http://www.shopsmith.com/markvsite/index.htm

Phil Thien
01-07-2009, 8:55 AM
I have a friend that has had his so long as used it so much, that he has had the motor/head (whatever it is called) rebuilt twice. And while it is away being rebuilt, he is beside himself waiting for it to return so he can use it more.

Joe Trotter
01-07-2009, 9:19 AM
My Pop had one in the seventies, he made alot of nice things with it.

Just reading this brings back memories of him using it in his garage.

I wish he was still around to teach me the stuff he knew how to do.

Dave Lehnert
01-07-2009, 1:57 PM
While it is true that a Shopsmith built today is not exactly the same as "back then", today's Shopsmith uses all the same basic design concepts.

Nearly all of the parts used today are compatible to the old machines. This is very important (and says a lot for the original design and for Shopsmith's business plan) because the old machines can still be repaired today. A very large percentage of those old machines are still in service today and are in excellent operating condition.

The newer machines have been changed to resolve all of the commonly recognized deficiencies of the older Mark Vs; like table is too small, rip fence is not accurate, and horse power is deficient.

http://www.shopsmith.com/markvsite/index.htm

I know what you are talking about. I got the chance to tour the Shopsmith factory last summer. They still use the original (1940's?) modified Shopsmith 10ERs to manufacture the Mark V today. Makes you feel kinda proud to be an American to see something like that today. Brings it home when you see American workers building woodworking equipment in the USA and trying everything to keep their heads above water.