PDA

View Full Version : Bass guitars...one more time...

Dennis Peacock
06-20-2004, 8:45 PM
OK...I can't seem to come up with enough money to get another Warwick bass with the short scale. I'm looking for thoughts and opinions on a Fender Mustang bass that does have the short scale neck.

I've never had a Fender, but seems like a lot of people out there have them and like them. Grant it, most everyone has the standard scale of 34" necks with the P and J series basses. With the money I'm getting for my existing Warwick bass, I will be able to purchase the Fender Mustand, hardshell case and maybe a few sets of string for it.

Thoughts and ideas welcomed.

Tyler Howell
06-20-2004, 10:04 PM
After touching my first Warwick this weekend.........You will never be satisfied with the Mustang:( . Save your coins, play your scales and get what you really want. Bro we went through this already with the Air Compressor.:rolleyes:

Steven Wilson
06-20-2004, 11:35 PM
Dennis, are you sure you're going to like a 30" scale length bass? My fingers aren't very long and I should use a 30" or 32" scale neck, but I just don't like the sound of any short scale length bass I've ever played (Alembic, Hoffner ). For most things I actually prefer a 35" scale length, it's just more alive ! My fingers, wrist, and arms get a work out and I use to have to ice them after a 4 hour gig but it's the sound that's important not the pain.

Dennis Peacock
06-21-2004, 12:09 AM
Dennis, are you sure you're going to like a 30" scale length bass? My fingers aren't very long and I should use a 30" or 32" scale neck, but I just don't like the sound of any short scale length bass I've ever played (Alembic, Hoffner ). For most things I actually prefer a 35" scale length, it's just more alive ! My fingers, wrist, and arms get a work out and I use to have to ice them after a 4 hour gig but it's the sound that's important not the pain.

Steve,

I don't know...I've never played a short scale bass. The closest short scale bass to me is about 5 to 6 hours driving (one way) and most of the stores I called in Dallas, TX don't stock short scale basses. All I know is that in order to get my speed up, increase my accuracy and stop killing my finger joints after playing less than one hour....I need a shorter scale bass.

I have spent close to 100 hours researching basses in the last 4 weeks and if I wanted to know something about a 34" scale? No problem. Once you drop below a 34" scale length, it's like trying to find the magic potion formula for youth everlasting.!!!!

In short, If I want to try a short scale bass, I really have to purchase one online from someone that has an unconditional return policy for at least 30 days. Try it, and if I don't like it, ship it back. Other than that, it's drive 12 hours roundtrip in hopes of some music store in Dallas with a 30" scale bass that I could try in the store. Guitar City in Little Rock doesn't have any short scale basses and the manager there told me he couldn't get one either. Especially if I wasn't going to buy it on the spot.

So, I guess you can say....I'm shopping blind in high hopes of a short scale bass providing me what I really need....frets that are closer together.

What are your thoughts and/or concerns?

Tyler Howell
06-21-2004, 7:18 AM
Dennis the hand pain is from getting old Bro. you gotta warm up and stretch just like tennis or gol.......
OHHHH!:eek: we're building a case for the wife just like the IR compressor;) .

Why yes Dennis, I agree we have to think seriously about your health and safety. Those cheaper axes will be bad....very bad for your hands. More Dr.s recommend Warwick than any other Bass. RMI could be crippling. (how am I doing bud?? When they say Tyler's BS they ain't talkin band saw or belt sander)
Yes truly a must for the artist of the new generation.
Of course the best of basses aint going to help C&W music at all. A little Jazz will test your chops. Good luck:D

Phil Phelps
06-21-2004, 9:32 AM
I remember the Mustang bass, Dennis, but can't remember a band that used one. Fender was bought by CBS in the late 60's, I think. Any Fender guitars, pre CBS, are worth some bucks. The beat up case for my 60 Strat is goin' for $900. My guitar is somewhere between 15 and 20 grand. Our bass player had hands smaller than yours, Dennis, and he played a Fender Jazz bass. You just need to play several bass guitars to get a feel for the one that "fits". Short neck or not. Good luck.
PS. Shoulda read all your post. If you can't find one, how much to have one made? Or, make one yourself. Lot of hand work, but you can do it. There is a lot of instruction out there. I think you should investigate it. It is a "wood" project. :p

Jim Becker
06-21-2004, 9:41 AM
Well, the Mustang seems to be an "appreciated" axe, judging from the comments I saw after a Google.com search. Apparently, there was enough interest that Fender reissued it. It's a single pickup, so you'll have a little more limited tone control, but certainly is an affordable option. Of course...you have your choice of red or white.

Dennis Peacock
06-21-2004, 1:01 PM
Yea, but I found an Epiphone Ellite Bass that is 30" scale and is more in the price range I was looking it.....just under $1,000......If I waited to get another Warwick...I really and honestly would never have the money until 4 kids left the house. I am very seriously considering the Epiphone Ellite bass, but I've not experience with Epiphone axes at all. So I guess it could be something I'll just have to try.

Dennis Peacock
06-21-2004, 1:04 PM
I remember the Mustang bass, Dennis, but can't remember a band that used one. Fender was bought by CBS in the late 60's, I think. Any Fender guitars, pre CBS, are worth some bucks. The beat up case for my 60 Strat is goin' for $900. My guitar is somewhere between 15 and 20 grand. Our bass player had hands smaller than yours, Dennis, and he played a Fender Jazz bass. You just need to play several bass guitars to get a feel for the one that "fits". Short neck or not. Good luck.
PS. Shoulda read all your post. If you can't find one, how much to have one made? Or, make one yourself. Lot of hand work, but you can do it. There is a lot of instruction out there. I think you should investigate it. It is a "wood" project. :p

Phil,

A lot of the vintage basses were 30" scale. The more I research it, the more folks that were big names had basses that your short scale.

Are there any shops there in Dallas that have 30" scale basses in stock? I have called several with a NOPE for an answer.

Phil Phelps
06-21-2004, 5:35 PM
Phil,

Are there any shops there in Dallas that have 30" scale basses in stock? I have called several with a NOPE for an answer.

I called two of the biggest stores and they don't have any. I may ask my barber. He played bass for a great group in the fifties, The Big Beats. Of course he ain't workin on a Monday. :D

Dan Smith
06-22-2004, 8:57 AM
Dennis,

I have an epi Les Paul. One major thing I found with the epies was quality control. I played 10-15 different ones, and each one not only sounded different (expected) but the also had some minor quality differences. A couple had poor fret work, some issues with finish, some poor electronics (bad buss and dirtty pots right from the box). So, if you are going with an epi, play and look over a bunch. There are some great ones, but I found quite a few (around 25%) that I felt should not have been on the shelf. Not sure how they are with Basses, so this could be all mute.

Have you looked at Rickenbackers? Seem to remember a short scale bass from them. Also there is a Fender P bass Jr, which about $100 cheaper than the mustang. Also, if you want a really inexpensive bass that gets pretty good reviews, the Danelectro Longhorn reissue may be up your alley.

-dan

Dennis Peacock
06-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Dennis,
Have you looked at Rickenbackers? Seem to remember a short scale bass from them. Also there is a Fender P bass Jr, which about $100 cheaper than the mustang. Also, if you want a really inexpensive bass that gets pretty good reviews, the Danelectro Longhorn reissue may be up your alley.

-dan

Dan,

I'm actually looking at the Epi Elitist short scale bass. This one is $959 at most online places and is all American made with full Humbucket pickups that are also American made. So, If I can't find one to try, I'll have to order one from musiciansfriend and try one out and send it back if I don't like it.