PDA

View Full Version : Polishing compounds

Jesus Aleman
01-04-2009, 4:19 PM
I am finishing a walnut panel with shellac and varnish followed by polishing compounds. I am looking at two different systems for polishing - Beall or Menzerna. I would like to know if anyone has used both systems and can share some thoughts on the trade-offs between these products. I would be using a power polisher to apply these.

JGA.

Jim Becker
01-04-2009, 8:20 PM
I use the Beall system for turnings, but have never used it for flat work. Principle is the same, however. (My buffs, however, are made to mount on the lathe and I don't have the polishing pads for my Festool Rotex yet)

Mark Lambert
01-04-2009, 8:48 PM
I really like to use Aberlon pads and a little soap and water...

Just wet sand to about 1500 grit then polish with 2000 and 4000 grit Aberlon pads

Done wet so no risk of burning the finish looks sweet when your done.

Mark

Dave Avery
01-04-2009, 8:50 PM
Jesus,

I have used both for flat work using Festool felt pads (Beall) and auto polishing pads (Menzerna) on my Festool Rotex. They both work well - both are 3 step processes. The Beall is more difficult because it's harder to get the material on the felt pads. While it takes quite a bit longer, it's easier to get a high gloss shine with the Beall system. That said, the results from Merzerna are very nice and much easier and faster to achive. Best. Dave.