PDA

View Full Version : How hard to switch to Shelix on a jointer?

Brian W Evans
01-04-2009, 4:06 PM
I spent too much time today changing the blades on my Powermatic 60B (8" jointer) only to still have some tearout. I have been considering upgrading to a Shelix head. My questions is this: for a non-machinist/non-mechanic type, how hard would it be to swap out my three knife head for the Shelix? Would I need tools not normally found in a wood shop where major tool repairs are not undertaken? Finally - and I know this depends on my skill level - how long will it take?

Thanks.

Daniel Hoffman
01-04-2009, 4:13 PM
I don't know about your Powermatic but on my dj20 it took me, not being a machinist or mechanic, about an hour. The most time consuming part was setting the outfeed table height. I got it close, .004, and then had a machinist buddy come over with his measuring stuff. We got it to .0003. I figured that was close enough for my work.

The only tool that i needed and didn't have was a puller cuz one of the old bearings was stuck on and it wouldn't fit in the box that the Byrd head came in. I didn't want to pry it off with screwdrivers, just in case.

I ordered mine with new bearings so i really didn't need the puller. I'd suggest that if it's an option with the Powermatic to get the new bearings.

The shelix head is in a word, awesome. We just got done surfacing about 500 board feet of maple. No pitting, no tearout, no issues at all. It's quieter than the old head too.

Good Luck

dan

Joe Chritz
01-04-2009, 7:43 PM
About an hour on my Grizzly.

I bought new bearings and had them pressed on the Byrd. It isn't any harder to reset the tables with the spiral then changing knives with the bonus of only having to do it once.

Joe

Juan Lauchu
01-04-2009, 8:18 PM
Like the other have said... I did the same with a Byrd cutter on my DJ-20. I just would like to add: if you know any metal shop guys or gear heads, get them to help you! That would be the ticket. My father in-law restores muscle cars and he helped me whip it together in less than an hour. Of course, he had all the right tools: bearing pulls, depth set gauges...you name it. He did an outstanding job or helping me get it right. He works with metal, I work with wood... what can I say ha ha
For the number of times this comes up on this site, I should have video taped it and posted it on you tube or something.
Good luck and take your time (no records for speed here...)

Robert Chapman
01-04-2009, 9:13 PM
Ask Powermatic people your question. They equip some of their tools with shelix cutter heads. My Powermatic planer has one as does my Jet jointer. I think both are made by the same company.

Mark Carlson
01-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Brian,

It was very easy on a powermatic 54a. It took less than an hour. I bought my byrd head from sunhill machinery with the bearings already pressed on. I don't have any pullers. The sunhill head came with everything you need like longer bolts. You also don't need any machinest tools to adjust your outfeed table.

~mark